Small Batch Chocolate Cookies Like Milk’s

by on January 21, 2009 · 14 comments

Today’s cookies are from the LA Times Culinary SOS, a section that devotes itself to helping readers track down recipes from restaurants. In this case, a reader named Meaghan wrote SOS asking them to obtain the recipe for chocolate cookies made by Milk. SOS told her to get her napkin ready because they’d obtained the recipe from Bret Thompson at Milk.

The full recipe is here, and after making a small batch for myself, I plan to make a full batch to serve at a teacher appreciation meeting. The cookies are excellent!

I make a lot of chocolate cookies. My top favorites are Chocolate Shock Cookies, Maida’s Whoppers and the Shiny Happy Cookies which are very similar to Maida’s. All three of those cookies are rather heavy, dense and fudgy. What’s different about this recipe is that the cookies are extremely chocolaty, but lighter and almost truffle-like.…..at least if you beat the egg quite a bit, which is what I did. The original recipe says to mix just until blended and I plan to try that next, but the fluffed up egg version was slightly cakier (though not dry) and light. You can make it whichever way you want.

Here’s the small batch version. I added the grams for those of you who weigh ingredients.

broken cookie

Small Batch Chocolate Cookies (Like Milk’s)

1 1/3 ounces unsweetened chocolate (37 grams)
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoon unsalted butter (20 grams)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons flour (21 grams)
2 teaspoons cocoa powder (4 grams)
1/8 teaspoon baking powder (.7 grams)
1/8 teaspoon salt (.75 grams)
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup granulated sugar (65 grams)
1/3 pound bittersweet chocolate (150 grams) —

In a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the unsweetened chocolate and butter. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.

Meanwhile, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Combine the egg, vanilla and sugar in a bowl and mix with a fork. For puffier cookies, beat egg mixture with an electric mixer on high for 1 ½ minutes (until fluffy).

Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix just until combined, then stir in the bittersweet chocolate. Chill batter for one hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Divide the dough into 6 portions and shape the portions into balls. They should be about 1 ¼ inches each. Place the balls on cookie sheet and space about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes (I baked mine about 13) and rotate the pan halfway. Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 6

Published on January 21, 2009

VeggieGirl January 21, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Mmm!!

dawn January 21, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Oh those do look good. I would like to try these and add some of those Peanut butter Whoppers in here.

Katrina January 21, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Those DO look good. My husband would probably like those, too, since he LOVED the pecan chewies so much.

Therese B. January 21, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Got Milk? Cookies?….that would make a great advertising campaign in Wisconsin.

snooky doodle January 21, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I’m drooling here! these look so chocolatey :)

Lisa Ernst January 21, 2009 at 3:52 pm

These look really, really good! My kind of cookie. Must bookmark this one.

Karen January 21, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I’m so glad you tried those, I was hoping you would! I will probably make them over the weekend since you liked them so well.
Luisa over at wednesday chef blogged about them today as well.

Sue January 21, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Those look excellent! Thanks for trying them and sharing your results!

bakingblonde January 21, 2009 at 6:46 pm

OOOH those look and sound great! I too love the Chocolate Shock Cookies! They are my fave chocolate cookie right now but i love the look of the texture of these too!

You find the greatest recipes!!

thebrunettebaker January 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Thanks for helping me to get over to the LA Times site…I not only got this recipe (making it this week for the chocolate fix I need every month :) but also found a bunch more. Can’t wait to try them all!

Jenn's Baking Chamber January 22, 2009 at 9:05 am

Those look great, I love fluffy, chewy, and especially chocolatey cookies. I have a great recipe for sour cream chocolate cookies that look very similar and have an almost brownie like texture. thanks for the recipe, ill have to try them.

johnna knows good food January 22, 2009 at 3:00 pm

These look like they just melt in your mouth!

Louise January 23, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Today on Anna’s recommendation, I made a double batch of the full recipe to take to my dance class. I used up two pounds Scharffen Berger bittersweet chunks and a half pound unsweetened chocolate that I had left over from Christmas baking. These were really a hit with both the women and men. I didn’t beat the eggs like Anna did, but just combined them as called for in the original recipe. The insides look very similar to Anna’s photos. These are a keeper for when you need a chocolate fix.

Jane February 15, 2009 at 6:08 pm

I can’t believe I’ve been sitting on this recipe for three weeks! I finally made them this weekend. I used Ghirardelli chocolate, and followed the recipe exactly except I used 4 oz white chocolate chunks (which was PLENTY!) instead of 1 pound of bittersweet chunks. The dough was a sticky mess but so worth the mess and the trouble! These are the most fantastic chocolate cookies ever.