Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chip Pecan Cookies

by on January 27, 2009 · 12 comments

If this recipe looks familiar, it’s because it’s a variation on an earlier recipe for whole wheat chocolate chunk cookies. Instead of chocolate chunks, I added some Hershey’s cinnamon chips and they worked beautifully! I’ve made this cookie 3 times and have had good results, but make sure you use enough flour or to be safe, weigh it.

Cinnamon Chip Cookies

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chip Pecan Cookies

1 cup sifted whole wheat pastry flour (126 grams) (sift and then measure)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (63 grams)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut up (58 grams)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (56 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (98 grams)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed (50 grams)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup cinnamon chips (e.g. Hershey’s)
2/3 cup toasted chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Stir together the sifted whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, beat the cold butter until it is creamy. Add the oil and both sugars and continue to beat until sugar is creamed (about a minute). Add the vanilla and egg and beat just until egg is mixed in, scraping sides of bowl once or twice. Add the flour in two parts either by hand or using the lowest speed of stand mixer. When flour is mixed in, stir in the chocolate and toasted nuts. Batter should be thick and cold, but not dry. You may bake these right away or for even thicker cookies, chill the dough overnight.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

About 16 to 18 Cookies – This is just an estimate since I haven’t baked all the dough.

**If you aren’t using a scale to measure flour, use the scoop and sweep measure or a slightly heavier hand for measuring flour by volume.

Published on January 27, 2009

Maggi January 27, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I have no idea why, but cinnamon chips are hard to come by in my neck of the woods. And maybe it’s just me, but they taste fine in baked goods, but not so good out of hand. Kinda waxy.

Derek January 27, 2009 at 2:25 pm

mmmm.. love cinnamon chips

Louise January 27, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Maggi, I agree that you don’t want to eat cinnamon chips like chocolate chips, but maybe that’s not a bad thing. :-) We can readily get Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips in my area, but I know King Arthur’s sells them too. They are good additions to lots of things.

Pearl January 27, 2009 at 3:12 pm

cinnamon chips? wow!

Jennifer January 27, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I LOVE this idea!!! Im putting cinnamon chips on the grocery list to make these :) thanks so much!

Katrina January 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Such a great looking cookie. On my list. Haven’t had time. I do want to make these whole wheat cookies sometime!

Rawley January 27, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Making these as a special treat for my class. I’m anxious to see if they can detect the whole wheat flour :)

sharon January 27, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I can never find cinnamon chips but when and if I do, I’m making these!

RecipeGirl January 27, 2009 at 11:23 pm

I’m lovin’ this one too! Good way to use up all of my cinnamon chips. Maybe I’ll play with this one a bit.

Liz January 28, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Hmm, looks delicious. I’ve never heard on cinnamon chips apart from in a couple of cookie blogs. I’m in Canada and wondering if they just don’t exist here?

Hallie January 28, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Yum, those look so good. I was looking for cinnamon chips all over then I found on the Hershey’s website that you can locate grocery stores near you that carry certain items. I found a few that had cinnamon chips, now I just have to make the trip! http://www.hersheys.com/productlocator/index.asp

Sarah January 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I just made this! I’ve had the recipe saved for awhile but today I decided I should make a “healthier” type cookie and I went for these! They’re DELICIOUS. Also, I find my cinnamon chips at a local Amish shop here–i’m not sure where other people are from, but if you have an option of a local Amish grocery store you should check it out! Mine are actually mini cinnamon chips. yum!