Half Batch Cherry Chocolate Red Wine Cookies

by on August 20, 2009 · 18 comments

Hey, guess who we ran into this morning at Target? The Governor. We needed a glue stick but he was in the middle of the school supply section signing a bill. Gee, I know the state needs to stay on budget but is setting up an office at Target really the answer? Hardy, har, har. Seriously, it was one of those moments when a camera phone would have come in handy.

So anyway, reporters were blocking the glue sticks and we had to wait. I finally just shoved Fuzz into the crowd and said “Hurry, get an Elmer’s one!” and she did. Then we sort of waited around to see if there was going to be hand-shaking and such, but there wasn’t. We went home, baked cookies, and watched the Schoolhouse Rock “I’m Just a Bill on Capitol Hill” video on You Tube.

That’s the most exciting thing that’s happened this week.

As for the cookies, these were a huge hit when I made them a while back for a school function. Today I just needed a few, so I cut the recipe in half and used some leftover Spanish wine from Costco. I hate pouring it out and you can sort of taste it in these cookies. This recipe is adapted from Ashley Berman who entered it into a Food TV contest.

chocolate wine cookies

Half Batch Red Wine Chocolate Cherry Cookies

3/4 cups all-purpose flour (98 grams)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder (30 grams)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (60 grams)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (72 grams)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (80 grams)
2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried tart cherries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.

Beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add both sugars and beat until well mixed. Beat in the egg, vanilla and wine. By hand, stir in the flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate and cherries.

Scoop up rounded tablespoons of dough and drop, shaping into small mounds, onto an ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet spacing about 2 inches apart.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until tops are still soft looking but edges look firm. Remove from cookie sheet to cool.

Makes 18

Published on August 20, 2009

VeggieGirl August 20, 2009 at 2:08 pm

What a sighting at Target :-D

Great cookies!

Anonymous August 20, 2009 at 4:06 pm

This looks like a great recipe. I remember from the last time you made the cookies and thought the same thing then. Maybe this will nudge me forward….

Karen August 20, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Love the hard-fought for glue stick’s appearance in the photo. If I saw our governor in Target I would be tempted to slap him, which would probably not be a good idea since he is the Terminator, after all.

Maura August 21, 2009 at 4:19 am

What would a person replace the wine with in this recipe, if you were to do that? Would cherry fruit juice be an non-alcohol alternative and work? Sounds delish though.

Niki August 21, 2009 at 6:20 am

I have to say (and this is only my opinion based on my taste!!) I hated these cookies. I added pistachios and used a semi-sweet chocolate chips, but that wasn’t why I didn’t like them. I didn’t like them b/c the red wine was so potent. I would probably make these again, but I’d substitute the red wine for POM juice of something. I couldn’t even taste the chocolate or cherries b/c the red wine was so strong! I made them this past Christmas, less than a month after graduating culinary school and my family wondered how the heck I managed to finish w/ straight A’s after those cookies…

Louise August 21, 2009 at 6:33 am

Niki – Retsina gives these cookies an “off” taste. :-)

Anna August 21, 2009 at 6:49 am

Karen, I’m watching that scene play out in my mind and it’s not pretty. Ha. Does Governor Schwarzenegger even need security? I mean, being that he’s the Terminor and all.

Niki, did you use Retsina? If the cookies are made with “normal” red wine, you can taste it but it’s subtle. You would have liked the ones I made for sure….maybe not loved them, but you wouldn’t have hated them so much. They did make it to the Food Network challenge after all. I wonder what happened. You’ll have to fly to Austin and make some right in front of me.

Anna August 21, 2009 at 6:55 am

Maura, someone in the FTV review section said she substituted cherry juice for the wine and the cookies were great.

One thing I noticed about these cookies is that the ratio of butter to other ingredients is kind of low so the dough is not quite as rich. It helps to really stuff the cookies with chocolate and cherry and let the dough just be kind of a mortar.

Sue August 21, 2009 at 6:58 am

These sound interesting and I’ll definitely try them some day.

Tanis August 21, 2009 at 8:08 am

Did you say you made these red wine cookies for a school function. I think I would be lynched here in the Bible Belt, Mississippi if I attempted that, LOL
I will keep these to myself and my family. Can’t wait to try them.

Katrina August 21, 2009 at 10:29 am

Ooh, see, now I like that someone said to use POM juice in place of the wine as I have one more bottle of it to use up and I made some POM brownies a while back that were excellent. Now I want to try it! Gotta get some more dried cherries.

Tracy August 21, 2009 at 11:21 am

I love Schoolhouse Rock. I tried to get my band to rock out a few of those tunes for school gigs but they looked at me like I was nuts.

I love the combination of dark chocolate and red wine but never would have put them together in a cookie.

Alton August 21, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I prefer white wine so the only red wine I have is some Port – would that be good? I have all the other ingredients.
Katrina, did you know that you can make really good pomegranate jelly using POM?

Holly August 22, 2009 at 9:37 am

I was so intrigued by these and happened to have some leftover wine, so I made a batch yesterday. Delicious – I will definitely make these again! Keep up the recipes – you are on my “check daily” list of blogs. I love it!

Anna August 22, 2009 at 9:40 am

I baked up a few more of these using the same batch of dough and discovered a little trick. If you roll the cookies into balls with slightly wet hands, they’ll have kind of a glossy, shiny appearance when baked….and smoother tops. Also, they’re best under-baked. Or at least I thought so.

kitty62 September 5, 2009 at 2:23 pm

doubled this recipe and made it for a party…..none came back home. need i say more?!

CosmikCupcake February 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm

For my second batch of these delicious cookies, I tried a technique I’d used successfully in adding dried cherries to a panful of brownies. Put the cherries into the wine in this recipe, then heat them in the microwave, 30 seconds or so. Let them steep/cool while preparing the dough, then drain off the wine and mix it in at the stated time. Add the cherries and chocolate at the stated time. This makes the cherries flavorful and tender. Mmmmmm.

Anna February 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a great idea.