Pumpkin Nut and Chip Cookies

by on October 9, 2009 · 12 comments

This is a recipe I brought home from San Francisco. It’s from the California Milk Advsiory board, who recommend using “real California butter”. I made these with Texas butter and they were still delicious. They are very cakey, and in a good way — almost like little pumpkin chocolate chip loaves in cookie form. I have a feeling they’ll stay fresh for a long time and ship well too. Not that I’m sending them to anybody.

chip and nut pumpkin cookies

Pumpkin Nut and Chip Cookies

4 oz real butter (salted)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour, all purpose
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup toasted nuts
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in the pumpkin, egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon together in a second bowl, then gently stir into pumpkin batter. Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoons onto parchment lined cookie sheets and bake on center rack for 15-17 minutes.

Makes about 36 cookies

Published on October 9, 2009

Lisa Ernst October 9, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I sometimes think I’m a little out of sync because I like cakey cookies. I like all kinds of cookies, actually, but have a special fondness for ones with a cake like texture. These look tempting to try. I definitely want to make a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie in celebration of fall. But first, apple pie tomorrow!

Karen October 9, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Keep the pumpkin recipes coming! Love it! Especially pumpkin with chocolate.

Therese B. October 9, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Yum a lum a ding dong! I love the season of Fall, for many reasons! But mostly it
is the time to bake with pumpkin! These cookies look great!!!

Remember the cake Anna that was part pumpkin, part cheesecake. I believe it
was your own recipe. It was a bundt cake. Do you remember that one???

Carole Resnick October 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm

And, I will use Ohio butter

KAnn October 10, 2009 at 12:38 am

I think these would be easily “veganized”-Earth Balance and maybe soy yogurt for the egg. I love pumpkin and chocolate but not together so I think I would just do nuts-for those who like raisins (not me!), tthey would also be a fun addition.

megan October 10, 2009 at 8:55 am

I almost made this recipe but wanted reviews first. So I guess ” little pumpkin chocolate chip loaves in cookie form.” is the words I wanted to hear. Sound delicious and I have “real” California butter! LOL

AJ October 10, 2009 at 11:08 am

Someone was just asking on twitter for a good pumpkin recipe; I’m sending her here.

sherri October 10, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Sounds great and perfect timing!

Amy Kritzer October 11, 2009 at 11:34 am

I tried these with a lot less sugar and whole wheat flour and no chocolate and they were like pumpkin rolls! Perfect with pumpkin chili. Mmm.

Valerie October 11, 2009 at 11:54 am

Mine are in the oven right now! I omitted the nuts and used Harris Teeter butter, which does not boast its home state. ;)

Chris Mower October 12, 2009 at 10:02 am

These look tasty. I love pumpkin chocolate combinations. Do you by chance have a pumpkin chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe? Last year I bought a loaf from Great Harvest and it was soooo good. I’d really like to make one at home. Thanks!

stacy t October 18, 2009 at 3:30 pm

what if you took that cookie and made it like a whoopie pie but with cream cheese frosting in the middle? oh my!