Lunchbox Applesauce Cake

by on April 14, 2010 · 12 comments

If you’re looking for an easy cake that tastes great and makes the house smell good, here it is. I baked this on Sunday. It smells a lot better than a Glade plug-in and tastes better too. We tried this a few hours after it was baked and it was delicious. However, it tasted even best on the second day so we sliced the leftovers, wrapped the cake slices in cling wrap and took them to a construction crew.

The hokey name comes from the fact that every time I think about this cake, I think of some 1950′s construction worker sitting on a scaffold eating this cake out of a tin lunch box.

Applesauce Cake

Lunchbox Applesauce Cake

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, measured after sifting
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups applesauce
1/2 cup golden raisins (or use a mix of regular and golden)
1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
Powdered sugar, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 325 if using a black Bundt pan.

After you’ve sifted the all purpose flour and measured out 2 ¼ cups, mix it with baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Grease the pan with shortening and dust with flour or spray with flour-added cooking spray.

Beat the butter until creamy. Add the brown sugar and continue mixing. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla, then mix until well blended and fluffy.

Add applesauce to the creamed mixture and stir well, then gently stir in the flour mixture, scraping batter up with a rubber scraper to ensure it’s incorporated. Fold in the raisins and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes or until cake tests done.

Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn on to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Published on April 14, 2010

Sue April 14, 2010 at 8:49 am

hmmm. It makes me think of some really fortunate school kid’s lunchbox. I always had to eat school lunch. :-(
It looks fabulous and I’m sure it smells even better than it looks. I would have been jealous if the kid next to me had that cake and I had school lunch.

Louise April 14, 2010 at 9:16 am

My mom would have packed something like that for me in my little lunch box. :-)

Jennifer April 14, 2010 at 9:24 am

“…smells better and tastes better than a glade plug-in” LOL!

That does look delicious. For some reason it makes me think of those cakes that used to be a mix in a box, that came wtih a little (cardboard) pan to cook them in? Do you remember those? I wonder if there was an apple spice kind of one?

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie April 14, 2010 at 11:16 am

You read my mind! I was just thinking about baking an applesauce cake!

Debbi April 14, 2010 at 12:58 pm

This looks great, I wish I had some nuts, I’d probably make it today. I know I wouldn’t HAVE to have the nuts but I LIKE nuts in breads and cakes. Maybe hubby will go to the store…

snooky doodle April 14, 2010 at 1:18 pm

yum i would like to have this in my lunch box if I was a kid. well even now :)

Karen April 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Reminds me of the carrot-applesauce bundt cake you did way way back, that recipe is OUTSTANDING and I just might have to dust it off and bake it again very soon!

Darlene April 14, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Your cake looks moist and delicious! I wish I had your willpower to give away more of my baked goods. Did you use regular applesauce? I only have Mott’s Natural No Sugar Added right now.

Martha in KS April 14, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Did you see a hunky construction worker named Lucky? They definitely were lucky to be chosen by you. The cake looks delicious. Do you think I could make it in a 9 x 13″ pan? Thanks!

Anna April 14, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Sue, I had to eat the school lunch too. Maybe that’s why I think of a construction worker instead of a cute, lucky child like Louise whose mom packed her applesauce cake.

Jennifer, I remember those! They were called Snackin’ Cakes. I used to make those when I was a kid.

Mackenzie, I’ll have to check your blog and see if you made it. I hope you try this recipe.

Snookydoodle, me too.

Karen, thanks! How did your Sweet & Salty Chocolate Cake from Baked turn out?

Darlene, I used the no-sugar kind. The Motts should be perfect.

Kim April 14, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I loved Snackin’ Cakes! They were one of the first things I was allowed to bake “on my own.” This recipe totally reminds me of them!

Amy April 15, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Hey Anna, in case any of your devoted readers wondered…

If you flub up and use baking powder instead of baking soda, you still get a moist delicious cake. Don’t ask me how I know this:)