An Interesting Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe

by on August 31, 2010 · 11 comments

Last week I made some mint chocolate ice cream. It went over so well that I decided to pull out the ice cream maker and dust off another old recipe. When it comes to choosing ice cream recipes, I’m less adventurous and tend to stick with ones I’ve made before.   This is one of the first ice cream recipes I ever made and it’s kind of special. It’s very chocolaty, has about 1/3 the fat as some premium ice cream, is rich and creamy tasting, yet has no cream. The secret is marshmallow fluff (or marshmallow “creme”, depending on which brand you buy) which you stir into the cooled custard before putting in the ice cream maker. The marshmallow cream helps give the ice cream an extra smooth texture, so you don’t get the iciness or grittiness of some lower fat ice cream and ice milks.

Chocolate Ice Cream

This chocolate ice cream recipe is from a 1994 issue of Eating Well. They have a vanilla version, but I prefer the chocolate version and have made it quite a few times with varying brands of chocolate and cocoa powder. Sometimes I even throw in a couple of tablespoons of malted milk powder.

I’ve cheated a little with the milk. The recipe calls for low fat, but I’ve used whole milk on occasion and both versions are good – the whole just tastes (and is) a little richer and kind of defeats the purpose of going to the trouble to make a low fat, marshmallow crème based ice cream.

Do you have a favorite chocolate ice cream recipe? I’ve grown attached to this one over the years, but need to branch out.  In the meantime, I’d love to know what you think about this one.

Published on August 31, 2010

Jennifer August 31, 2010 at 3:22 pm

We make ice cream pretty often, usually using recipes from Dave Lebovitz’ “The Perfect Scoop.”

This is a link to my favorite recipe of his:
(Oh, and I wouldn’t leave out the zest of one lemon. I think that’s part of what makes it so great, especially with a strawberry or blueberry sauce on top)
It’s easy and delicious!

I’ll have to try your recipe though, marshmallow fluff is a great idea.
Oh, and I recently saw a Cook’s Illustrated recipe for ice cream that didn’t require an ice cream maker and used whipped cream to get the right texture.

Fallon August 31, 2010 at 6:39 pm

That is really cool using marshmallow fluff as a mix-in to the custard. I’m book marking this until I get an ice cream maker. I can’t wait to try this!

Cookie Sleuth August 31, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I cannot wait to pull out my ice cream maker for Labor Day weekend!

Tawny @ http://theyearofthecookie.blogspot.com/ September 1, 2010 at 1:32 am

ahh! i want an ice cream machine soo bad!! i’ve been seeing delicious ice cream recipes all summer and its torture! thats it, i know im a poor student, but i need to make some ice cream!

Louise September 1, 2010 at 6:08 am

I think this ice cream looks terrific. Where’s the cone? :-)

Janet September 1, 2010 at 6:34 am

You are inspiring me to break out the ice cream maker for this recipe! I have made chocolate sorbet which was wonderful. I’ve got everything I need and will get back to ya;-) Thanks for the recipe!

Louise September 1, 2010 at 6:47 am

I’ve made this cone recipe. I have a krumkake iron which works fine. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/vanilla-waffle-cones I put a gum drop in the bottom of the cone to help stop leaking. :-)

Katrina September 1, 2010 at 11:40 am

While I LOVED Dorie’s Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream, my favorite non-custard (therefore, lower fat) ice cream is David Lebovitz’ Philly style chocolate ice cream.
I also love trying different recipes and you know I’ll probably try this one! ;)

Anonymous September 1, 2010 at 11:44 am

Hi Anna:
I always choose yogurth, no matter what i always end up witht the same, peach, strawberry, fruits or anything yogurth..:)..i think i need one of those icecream machines jiji..Im baking the italian cream cake tonight im so excited..!!

Kim Fluck September 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Wow, after reading both the ice cream recipes you’ve posted, I really need to get out my ice cream maker and make something aside from VANILLA! Your recipes for chocolate and the mint chocolate chip ice cream look amazing!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit September 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Love the idea of marshmallow cream in this – sounds creamy and the texture looks fantastic!