These Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are among my all-time favorite treats. I don’t have much to say about them at the moment other than I’ve been making them for years and that they are really perfect for welcoming in fall.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- 3 cups 13.5 oz all-purpose flour**
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups golden brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 stick 4 oz unsalted or salted butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup marshmallow fluff
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and have ready two ungreased baking sheets.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the eggs, brown sugar, oil and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the pumpkin. With a mixing spoon or rubber scraper, gradually add the flour mixture until blended.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto the baking sheets. Dampen your fingers with a little water and shape the pumpkin blobs so that they're kind of round. Bake for 12 minutes or until they appear set. Let cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat the cream cheese, softened butter and vanilla in a bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in sugar and beat until smooth. Add the marshmallow fluff and beat until smooth. Spoon a heaping spoonful of filling between two cool cookies.