Best Ever Pancakes!

by on October 10, 2010 · 21 comments

Have you found the perfect pancake recipe? If not, here it is!

stackofpancakes

But only if your idea of perfect means light and fluffy. Buttery and greasy, these are not. Since it’s October, I tried to make mine super scary by adding sprinkles. Those of course, are not the secret ingredient.

The secret ingredient, and since it’s from King Arthur Flour you know there is one, is malted milk powder. I never would have thought to add it to pancake batter, but it makes the pancakes light, adds a little malty flavor and a touch of sweetness.  Also, the recipe doesn’t call for any buttermilk so you can make these on just about any day — including those days you don’t have buttermilk (or Saco) in the refrigerator.  You can cut the recipe in half if you want a small batch, but what I did was make all the pancakes, stack them between parchment and freeze them.  The night before, put the pancakes in the refrigerator too thaw, then just warm them in the microwave for a few seconds.

pancakes

King Arthur Flour’s Simply Perfect Pancakes

More than 80 people have given the recipes a big thumbs up, so if that’s not enough to buy some malted milk powder, well I don’t know what is. Oh, wait. I do. How about 8 more good recipes that call for malted milk powder.

Malted Milk Chocolate Cake

Nancy Baggett’s Malted Milk Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies

Malted Big Wheels

Malted Milk Blondies

Marbled Malted Milk Pound Cake

Strawberry Malted Millk Puff Pastry Dessert

Dorie Greenspan’s Chocolate Whopper Cookies

Published on October 10, 2010

Judy B. - Texas October 10, 2010 at 11:39 am

Newbie to your blog and I’m lovin’ it! Never thought to add malted milk to pancakes – will purchase some today.

I’m downloading your recipes like crazy!! Thanks.

Anna October 10, 2010 at 11:59 am

Hi Judy,

Thanks for finding me :). If you have any questions or special recipe requests, feel free to email me.

LisAway October 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

SO funny you should post this! I was just barely showing the kids our stash of malted milk powder from my last visit to the states and told them they could use it in their milk (it was purchased for use in baking and the occasional chocolate shake). The only recipe that I love and make with it is the chocolate malted sandwich cookies you have posted before (from Martha Stewart). I haven’t loved most other recipes that call for it, but I’m excited to try some of these, but especially the pancakes!

So I think I know what we’ll be having for breakfast tomorrow!! And I love refrigerating or freezing pancakes and popping them in the toaster in the morning for a fast home-made breakfast! (we don’t have a microwave and I love having he outside getting a little crispy with toasting).

Thanks! I’ll come back and say what we thought about them after we try them out.

the blissful baker October 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

light and fluffy pancakes are the best! that is definitely good enough incentive to go get some malted milk powder :)

Sue October 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Some days I’d like to give you a hug. This is one of them. The pancake recipe is a real find, but putting all of those other malted milk recipes in one place was an inspired idea!
We have a pancake recipe that we love and that my kids grew up with. My family might wonder about me if I spring a new pancake recipe on them, but they might be pleasantly surprised!

Fallon October 10, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Wow those look amazing! If you think they are the best pancakes ever then I can’t argue with you. I can’t wait to try these out. Just need to go buy some malted milk powder now. ;)

Krista October 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I love that you add sprinkles! If you ask my kids sprinkles make EVERYTHING better. I will have to try adding some to my next batch of pancakes!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit October 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Sprinkles definitely do make everything taste better. :) I love the sound of these. I have malted milk powder and will try these soon. Thanks!

Katrina October 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I know four little boys who just might like these–especially the added sprinkles!

rachel October 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Those look delicious! Problem is I have never seen malted milk powder for sale before… where do you buy it?

LimeCake October 11, 2010 at 4:50 am

pancakes are my favourite things in the whole world! homemade only! i’m heading out now to look for malted milk powder!

Anna October 11, 2010 at 7:39 am

Stores usually sell it in the hot chocolate/cocoa/coffee aisle. Some stores keep it with the ice cream toppings.

melissa October 12, 2010 at 9:00 am

I’ll have to tell Denis. He’s the pancake man on the weekends. I just bought a new container of Malted Ovaltine too. One of the things he does that is uber decadent is to put some m and ms in the pancakes. It really is like a dessert! Jamie calls them “Buried Treasure Pancakes”. I think his dad has a sweeter tooth than him though!

Denis October 12, 2010 at 10:34 am

Okay, the gauntlet has been thrown. I would not refer to myself as “The pancake man” but I am getting a bit bored with just doing Mark Bittman every time – we’ll give this whirl – m&m’s on some, sprinkles on others…I mean, one has to COMPARE, right? Jamie has JUST developed a taste for malt, so this shouldn’t be an issue. We’ll let you know how it turns out. En garde! BTW, Melissa has just asked if you can substitute ovaltine for the malted milk powder. Sounds fishy to me…

Jennifer JW October 12, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I’ll have to try this I would never have thought to add it to pancakes, either.

But I usually keep malted milk powder on hand for a malted milk chocolate cookie recipe (from cooking light) that my kids really like.

Jennifer JW October 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Oh, but after my local Walmart remodeled they stopped carrying malted milk powder! I had to go to Kroger’s to get it.

Linda October 12, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Am I missing seeing something? I clicked on the “Get the Recipe” button and was immediately whisked to a description of your wonderful looking pancakes as well as the titles of other goodies utilizing the malted milk powder, but no pancake recipe! Is that the trick instead of a treat?

Anna October 12, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Hi Linda,

I had to show off my pancakes before I could link you to King Arthur! I used the recipe from their site without making any modifications, so rather than post the recipe I’ve posted a link to theirs: ).

The link is right under the pancake photo, but I’ll email it to you.

Maggie October 17, 2010 at 10:09 am

My dad LOVES malt. And Cooks Illustrated just recently printed a recipe for the best cupcakes and they have a version with malted chocolate icing. I can’t wait to try these.

carolyn October 17, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for sharing this! It looks great and I will be trying it soon!!

Bread Lover December 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I know King Arthur list it a malted milk powder but years ago recipes called for Malt Powder. There are two types non diastatic malt powder and diastatic malt powder. Both are very sweet but diastatic malt powder produces sugar from the dough, it may produce a higher rise, the non diastatic malt powder just adds a malted sweet taste and does nothing for the yeast. You use diastatic in yeast recipes, non diastatic in baking soda recipes. Diastatic malt powder is used in commercial bread and pizza dough. King Authur is confusing people with this recipe. You can add malted milk powered, I am sure it adds taste and favor, but malt powered is the norm for people who know.