Nutella Scones

by on October 19, 2010 · 30 comments

A few days ago we went to the Texas Book Festival to see Matt Lewis, Renato Poliafito talk about Baked Explorations. For their recipe demonstration, they made Black and White Cookies: a New York institution that’s almost impossible to find here in Austin, TX. The recipe from Epicurious is my current favorite, but Baked’s is different and I’m looking forward trying it — but not until I get my hands on some Fiori Di Sicilia. It makes total sense that the essence of Sicilian flowers would be the secret ingredient to a New York Black and White, right? So I’m going to add it to the Black and White recipe from Baked Explorations when it arrives in the mail via King Arthur.

Nutella Scones

In the meantime, I’ve made the Nutella Scones. Because unlike Black and Whites and Fiori di Sicilia, Nutella is something you can buy just about anywhere, annd thank goodness for that.

Okay, let’s cut to the rich and crumbly chase. I made these for dessert because if I ate one for breakfast, I would feel full all morning. Now I’ll just feel full the rest of the day, which is fine. They’re very rich (in the way scones should be) and satisfying enough to qualify as dessert even though they’re not terribly sweet. I heartily recommend adding a few bittersweet chocolate chips to the dough as you’re kneading it, because why not?

By the way, since this weekend I’ve been feeling self-conscious about my choice of cocoa powder. Matt and Renato are brand loyal to Valrhona, and if you’ve ever made a batch of brownies with it you know why. I’m contemplating finding a good Internet source for Valrhona, but I made these with my trusty brand of every day cocoa powder and the scones were still terrific. Plus, I worry if I baked with Valrhona every single day I’d get tired of it. At least that’s what I’m telling myself. But if I’m going to put in an order for essence of Sicilian flowers, than why not add some good cocoa as well.

Here’s the recipe from the book. Below is my paraphrased version of the “mini” batch recipe.

Nutella Scones

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (4.5 oz)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder (like Vahlrona) Anna’s note: I wish!!!
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
Handful of bittersweet chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 cup Nutella

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place the rack in the center. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until combined. Add the butter. Use your fingertips to rub it into the flour until the butter the mixture is coarse.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and cream. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the dough just comes together. Gently and briefly knead the dough with your hands – be careful not to overwork the dough. Gently knead in the hazelnuts. Flatten the dough into a square approximately 6 by 6 inches and spread about 2 tablespoons of the Nutella on top in a crisscross pattern (I didn’t know what they meant by this, honestly). Roll the dough up to make a cylinder, turn it on its end, and gently flatten it into a disk about 1 3/4 inches high. Again, be careful not to overwork. Cut the dough into 3 gigantic or 4 slightly less gigantic triangles. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes rotating the baking sheet halfway through, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Do not overbake. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool completely.

When ready to serve, soften the remaining Nutella in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds and drizzle it on top OR pipe it out of a freezer bag with the corner snipped off.

Published on October 19, 2010

The Blue-Eyed Bakers October 19, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Wow. We are in love. Nutella scones!? Amazing. Delicious. Leave it to the Baked boys. These look fabulous!

Lisa Ernst October 19, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I have a bottle of Fiori Di Sicillia in the refrigerator and I tend to forget to use it in recipes its perfect for, like scones. The good thing is that it lasts indefinitely, so its there when I remember. Your Nutella scones look yummy! If you try the Valhrona cocoa powder, let us know. I love the Bensdorp Dutch from KAF — so rich and smooth. But I’m always ready to try something new.

Louise October 19, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Let’s bring back the tradition of Afternoon Tea. :-) Personally I rarely make Black & Whites because I only eat one so I don’t really need a batch of them.

Cupcake Activist October 19, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Perfect for today’s rainy day. I haven’t eaten a scone in years.

Sue October 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm

It’s good to know the scones are still good even though you didn’t use their preferred cocoa powder.

Shelley October 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Unfortuantely, I had to miss the Baked duo’s demo at TBF. I caught their demo at the 2008 TBF and they were really funny and engaging. I just received their cookbook and just made these scones. They are divine! And I used Hershey’s cocoa, not Vahlrona. Still amazing!

Karen October 19, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I really enjoyed these scones, too. I just kinda smeared some nutella on top after they had cooled for a few minutes. They were even good the next day, which is not always true of scones.

Anna, I’m happy to pick up a kilo bag of Valhrona cocoa for you, it is $29 at a shop very near me called Spun Sugar, here is their website:

natacha October 19, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Hello! congratulations! thanks! for this wonderful recipe! br your fan!
Caroliny!

Anna October 19, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Thanks Karen! I already found an on-line source, but before I pay shipping I’m going to check a store here in town called Spec’s. It’s a liquor store, but they sell a lot of gourmet baking items.

Camille October 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Oh. My. God.
That is all.

x3Baking October 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm

A scone recipe I tried on your blog (the sour cream ones) was sooooo good! I bet your scone recipes are all delicious.

Catherine October 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm

i have been using fiori di sicillia for years (thanks to KAF) but i really prefer lemon zest in black & whites because the former is SO potent (even a pindrop!) i think it overwhelms or confuses my taste buds. i use it with cream cheese/fruit filling in pastries or cobblers. thank you so much for this wonderful use of nutella (and for the mini version)as i’m always seeking another vehicle for consuming it! btw-my bottle is three plus years old and fresh as a……flower!

Krista October 19, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I absolutely LOVE nutella. I’m using it in samosas on my blog on thursday!!

Katrina October 19, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I’ve heard a number of bloggers talk about the new Baked book and they have all said the first thing they are going to make from it is these Nutella scones. Must try.
Found the Whole Foods in SLC had all kinds of high end cocoa and chocolate, like SB and Vahlrona. Do you have Whole Foods there?

Fallon October 19, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Those scones look out of this world. Love nutella!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit October 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I have a fresh jar of Nutella in my pantry- I know just how I’ll use it. :) These sound wonderful.

the blissful baker October 19, 2010 at 11:50 pm

i heart nutella :) i could eat the stuff by the spoonful, but these scones sound amazing too!

Sheri October 20, 2010 at 12:16 am

Funny – I went to their book signing in SF tonight! They brought Sweet & Salty brownies and a woman who tests for them brought the apple caramel cake. Both very good. I loved their first book and baked my way through much of it. Can’t wait to get into Baked Explorations.

I made the tomato soup cupcakes and they were a hit at work! They don’t taste like tomato, more like pumpkin. Very moist.

Also, on cocoa powder: Cook’s Illustrated did a taste test 5 years ago and Valrhona didn’t score very well. Oddly, it was Callebaut that was their top choice. I don’t know, I use Valrhona, Droste and Scharfen Berger (on occasion, but it’s not dutch-process) and I like them all. Valrhona is by far my go-to when it comes to baking with actual chocolate.

Anna October 20, 2010 at 8:04 am

Sheri, have you tried Penzey’s? It’s very good too.

Also, I’ve made tomato soup cake which I’m sure is similar to the cupcakes.

Anna October 20, 2010 at 8:06 am

Katrina, Whole Foods headquarters are here. I’ve been shopping at that store since it was a hole in the wall, “alternative” store. The best store is downtown, though. There’s a rumor they’re going to build a Whole Foods where I live in in Southwest Austin, but I’m not sure when.

Louise October 20, 2010 at 9:25 am

We’re not good enough to have a Whole Foods, or a Costco, for that matter.

Therese B. October 20, 2010 at 10:14 am

These scones look wonderful…I love Nutella!

Are the Black and Whites a scone recipe?? I have
never heard of them.

Julie October 20, 2010 at 11:08 am

When someone mentioned these in your comment section yesterday, I googled the recipe for future use! These are super easy once you toast those hazelnuts. I want to try these asap.

joan October 20, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Hi, I made these scones and also the cowboy cookies from the new book. The scone dough came out really dry, so I added about 1/4 cup extra cream, until the dough came together. Delicious results, despite my alteration of the recipe! The cowboy cookies were good, but not earth shaking. I am eagerly awaiting delivery of the cookbook put out by the “Flour” bakery here in Boston, and also the Clinton Street Bakery cookbook. I once had a scone from the Clinton Street bakery in NYC, and it was to die for. It’s such a great time of year with all the new cookbooks coming out.

Anna October 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Louise, are you good enough for a Sam’s Club? I know Costco and Whole Foods are rather exclusive ;).

Therese, Black and Whites are those big cookies. I think a lot of people only know about them from watching Seinfeld.

Julie, boiling hazelnuts in baking soda really helps get the skins off quickly.

Joan, that’s too bad about the Cowboy Cookies. My scone dough was rather dry, too. However, the scones came out delicious. I guess they’re hard to mess up.

justJENN October 20, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I promise you – you will NEVER get tired of Valrhona. I keep pounds of it in my pantry at all times.

erin October 21, 2010 at 5:48 am

Anna, I also live in SW Austin and maybe someone already mentioned this in the above comments, but you can get Valrhona cocoa in the bulk section at Central Market S…
I’ve become quite utterly addicted. I did see one person’s comment about finding a kilo for $29, and that seems like a great price comparatively! Love your blog. :-)

Randi October 24, 2010 at 9:28 am

i grew up eating black and whites( in FL, where everyone is from NY, including my parents). I love them, but Im scared to make them because then Id want to eat them all. They are very cakelike and I love cake.

Sheri October 25, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Anna, yes, I have some Penzey’s that I picked up but haven’t tried it! We’ve got a local Penzey’s and I was curious when I was there one time.

I’ve also got some cocoa powder from KAF but haven’t tried that either. Just stocking up!

Jessica "Su Good Sweets" October 26, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I have a hard time baking with Nutella, as its choclatiness disappears when I subject it to high temps.