Malted Waffles

by on November 6, 2010 · 14 comments

I was never a big waffle fan. My mom made them on occasion, but served them for dinner with Steen’s Cane Syrup. Have you ever tried Steen’s Cane Syrup on waffles? Let’s just say it’s an acquired taste, and my dad acquired it from the same place he learned to love Beanie Weenie’s, Vienna Sausages, catsup sandwiches and cornbread crushed up in a big glass of buttermilk. His childhood wasn’t easy, but he carried a lot of food preferences into adulthood and to this day, he loves Steen’s. I might even buy him some for Christmas because he’ll be happy and the smell will be nostalgic, but I can tell you that I didn’t start liking waffles until I went to a friend’s house and the mom took out some Log Cabin.

Not long ago, Todd and Fuzz mentioned that they preferred waffles over pancakes. That, plus seeing a few interesting recipes (Warren Harding’s Waffles from The Stag Cookbook and Malted Waffle recipe from Baked Explorations) motivated me to buy a small Cuisinart Waffle Maker. Since it arrived last week, I’ve been having so much fun with it.

Fuzz

The first recipe we tested was from the booklet that came with the waffle maker.  Of all the waffles I’ve made, it was Fuzz’s favorite.

The second recipe, Malted Waffles, was adapted from Baked Explorations.  I had really high hopes for it, but things didn’t turn out quite as planned. Fuzz tried to stir the batter but had to let me take over because the malty smell turned her off.   By the time the waffle was ready, she was so put off by the malt smell she decided malted waffles weren’t for her.  Luckily, Todd liked them.

Here’s the recipe as I made it. We’re a small family, so I made a half batch and got about 4 good sized waffles.

A few tips:  You know how they say “oil the waffle maker”?.  Don’t skip that step.

Okay, so that’s the only tip. Here’s the recipe for the malted waffles.

Waffle Maker

Malted Waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup malted milk powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 large egg
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center. Whisk the egg in a second bowl. Whisk in the butter and buttermilk. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until mixed – there will be some lumps. Heat waffle maker as per manufacturer directions and. Brush lightly with oil. Drop batter onto waffle maker and use technique from manufacturer to make the waffles.

Published on November 6, 2010

Louise November 6, 2010 at 10:45 am

You should absolutely love waffles. :-) Chicken & Waffles sometimes appears on Pennsylvania Dutch menus. It can be a tasty supper. I make it occasionally with leftover chicken and make the “Norwegian Rice Waffles” from the KA 200th Anniv. Cookbook. Steen’s definitely wouldn’t cut it in this house.

Jill November 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm

The Overnight Yeasted Waffles recipe in the America’s Test Kitchen cookbook is my favorite. Delicious, and all you have to do in the morning is pour the batter onto the waffle iron!

briarrose November 6, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Mmmm…waffles. Yummy!

Anna November 6, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Louise, I should! I’m making up for lost time, though.

Jill, thanks for the tip. I found an overnight yeasted recipe in Southern Living and that one is next on the list. Today I made gingerbread waffles. Didn’t love them, though.

Briarrose, here’s a special video for you.

the blissful baker November 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

i’ve never heard of malted waffles, but they look really good! i love all types of waffles :) now if only i had a waffle maker…

Jaclyn November 6, 2010 at 7:15 pm

The list of your dad’s food preferences made me smile – just like my grandfather. Cornbread crumbled in a glass of milk was probably his most favorite thing. His favorite biscuit and waffle topping was sorghum syrup.

vanillasugar November 6, 2010 at 8:22 pm

i was never a big fan of waffles UNTIL someone made me a chocolate waffle with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. i’m certain i ate those for breakfast for the next 3 weeks. lol

C L November 6, 2010 at 9:22 pm

My dad too loved to crumble cornbread in a glass of milk. I now do the same thing. I wonder if it is a Texas or Southern thing? :)

Anna November 6, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Blissful Baker, Allrecipes.com has a couple of highly rated malted waffle recipes too. I never thought to look for that type of recipe until I found malted pancakes on King Arthur. I’d say the malted pancakes were better than the malted waffles, though.

Jaclyn, my great grandmother liked the cornbread/buttermilk combo too. I think she and my dad bonded over that horrible “treat”. They’d sit at the table and eat it together.

Dawn, I may make chocolate waffles tomorrow. I’m looking for a good recipe ;).

CL, I don’t know. I Googled it and didn’t find much info, but there is a song that says it’s a country boy’s delight. I guess it’s a double delight if you pour some cane or sorghum syrup in.

Kathy November 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I love the yeast waffles, but they’re like 400 calories each! :)

Stephanie November 7, 2010 at 7:03 am

I am a huge fan of waffles, and for years I refused to use a mix of any sort. I could make it easily and thought it was silly to buy a mix. And then I bought a package of Heartland Waffle Mix on Amazon. OMG — so good and so easy. I have a regular, not Belgian waffle iron that makes 6 squares at a time. I haven’t tried any of the fruit flavors, but I have had both the sweet cream and the malted vanilla and think they are the best waffles ever.

Randi November 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I love Carbons( from MI) waffle flour. It makes amazing waffles. It has malt in it and its what most restaurants use. You still need to add eggs, butter and milk( or water). You can find it at Williams sonoma, but its less expensive if you buy it from them directly.

Rebecca November 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Did you know you can make cookies in a waffle maker? I have an old Amish maple cookie recipe that is the main reason I keep my waffle maker!

Pat August 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

Carbon’s, Carbon’s, Carbon’s….when it comes to malted waffles, they are king! I live about ten miles from their home base, and I can find their mixes at a local branch or local stores. Try their buckwheat pancake mix as well. I’ve never seen kids go so crazy for buckwheat pancakes. I have since reverse-engineered their recipes, but for ready made mixes, you can’t beat them. They also provide the mix and irons used in tons of hotels and restaurants. Look them up under “New Carbon Company” or go to http://www.goldenmalted.com/