If you’re in the midst of holiday prep and just want an easy, relaxing, dessert that the kids can help make, here’s one of our family’s favorites. You probably already know this recipe, but I took such a good picture of it I had to post it again. May I present to you, Le Chocolate Éclair Cake, which everyone knows is just so much better than the sum of its parts. Since I have a lot of other desserts coming up next week, I made the small version and used an 8 inch square dish. Most recipes are double this and made in a 13×9 inch dish.
Update: I’ve modified this recipe a bit over the years and now use only three layers of graham crackers as opposed to the four (pictured).
- 1 (3.4 oz) box of Jell-O instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk (2%)
- 1/2 of an (8 oz) tub Cool Whip or you could use 1/2 cup whipping cream, sweetened with some powdered sugar
- 1/2 a box graham crackers or however many you need to make 3 layers
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 3 tablespoons natural unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- With a hand-held mixer or whisk, beat together pudding mix and milk for about 2 minutes. Pudding should start to thicken. Fold in the whipped topping or freshly whipped cream.
- Break the graham crackers into squares and lay them across the bottom of an 8 inch baking dish. You’ll need to break some of them to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread the pudding mix across the graham crackers. Layer on more graham crackers and more pudding mix twice so that you have a total of 3 layers of graham crackers and two layers of pudding mixture.
- To make the icing, beat the butter, cocoa powder and sugar together, then add milk and beat until creamy and smooth. Beat in vanilla.