This pie contains a brick of cream cheese, so technically it is not an authentic key lime pie. That said, I love the cream cheese! It makes the filling a little smoother and the sour flavor goes well with the lime.
Rather than use key limes, I use bottled key lime juice which works very well. I also use pasteurized eggs just to be safe.
Key Lime Pie with Cream Cheese
- 12 graham cracker squares 6 rectangles
- 1/2 cup whole almonds toasted or roasted unsalted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoon shredded sweetened coconut
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter browned
- 1 14 oz can condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks pasteurized eggs -- see link above
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup bottled key lime juice or fresh squeezed like juice see note
- 1 cup whipped cream whipped and sweetened to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch deep dish glass pie plate with butter or spray with cooking spray.
- Put the graham crackers, whole almonds, sugar, salt and shredded coconut in food processor; process into crumbs. Pour in the melted browned butter and pulse until crumbs are moistened. Press into pie plate and bake for 12 minutes. It might seem like you have too many crumbs, but everything will fit in the end.
- Prepare filling. Clean out food processor bowl. Combine condensed milk and egg yolks in processor bowl and process until smooth. Add cream cheese and process until cheese is smooth. Add lime zest and key lime juice and process a little more. Pour into the cooled pie shell. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and chill for 8-10 hours.
- When ready to serve, place the whipped cream in a large plastic zipper bag. Snip off the tip of the bag and pie the whipped cream around the edges.