You can never have too many Key lime pie recipes, so here’s the one I made yesterday. It’s a Key lime pie without eggs.
Key Lime Pie Without Eggs Inspiration
This was inspired by a “best of show” winner at a Florida state fair and it’s interesting because it gets its smooth & thick texture from cream cheese and butter rather than the usual egg yolks. As I’ve mentioned, I like key lime pie that’s very tart, so I used a lot of lime zest. You can adjust the amount of zest to taste. I also used real key lime juice today because key limes happen to be 99 cents a bag, but feel free to use bottled key lime instead. If you can’t find key limes or key lime juice, you can use the juice of regular Persian limes.
A Key Lime Pie Without Eggs
- 18 graham cracker squares (145 grams)
- 1/3 cup pecans, toasted (35 grams)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (36 grams)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoon coconut flakes, sweetened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (90 grams)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (60 grams)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened (180 grams)
- 1 can condensed milk (420 grams)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (fresh or bottled) plus an extra 1-2 T if desired
- 1 cup heavy cream plus 1 tablespoon sugar & 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pie dish.
- Combine graham crackers, pecans, sugar, salt and coconut in food processor; process into crumbs. Pour in the butter and pulse until crumbs are moistened. Press into pie plate covering bottom and sides and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool.
- Prepare filling. In the same food processor bowl you used for the crust, combine softened cream cheese and softened butter and process until smooth. Scrape side of bowl and add condensed milk, lime zest and bottled lime juice; process until smooth. Taste and make sure it’s sour enough, then add more juice/zest if desired. Pour into the cooled pie shell. Chill for at least 5 hours.
- A few hours from serving time, whip the cream until stiff peaks form, then beat in sugar and vanilla. Put cream in a zipper bag, snip off the corner and pipe cream around edges of pie.
- ** You could skip making the crust and use a store bought graham cracker or vanilla crust if you are in hurry. If you do this, you can make the whole pie using a mixing bowl and a hand-held mixer.
Made this and everyone loved it. Used home made oreo crust…18 crushed oreos and 4 T butter.. pre baked for 10 min. Even purchased unsalted butter !!!
Hi! I was trying to find a pie with a silky smooth texture, good lime flavor, and no eggs…how would you rate this against your favorites with and without eggs? Thanks!
YAY! It’s getting to be key lime pie season. I love this season!! This pie looks great.
Ooo key lime pie without eggs – I’m intrigued. Especially with the addition of cream cheese! Looks delicious.
Yum, yum, yum! This looks so good! Thank you for the recipe!
This does look good, Anna. I just won one of 12 spots in the TOH Branson Best Pie contest (April 24-25; Al Roker is one of the judges) with my key lime pie. I’ll be posting the recipe when I get back. I like a lot of zest also. Zesting and squeezing all those itty bitty limes is no fun, but I found that a Wal-Mart lime squeezer (under $3) is the best way. BTW, I made CI key lime bars (delicious) and recipe will post this week.
so whats the final verdict? Eggs or no eggs? which was better?
looks delicious 🙂
I like the sound of this crust with a nice tart key lime filling. How’s the texture of the filling?
How, you must have been emiting Key Lime ESP yesterday. I made one too, my first ever try at a key lime pie. Used a non-egg recipe from Allrecipes, it was the highest or close to the highest rated recipe on the site, called for sour cream instead of cream cheese. It was good, but I think I will try this one too just for kicks. One trick I got from the one off of all recipes, use a garlic press to juice the limes, just cut them in half first. Worked slick!
Oh WOW your key lime pie looks delicious! My mouth is watering just thinking of taking a bite of this pie… I’m off to print out this recipe now….thanks for sharing with us.
Oh, my mouth is watering just seeing this key lime pie…thank you!
I went through a phase when I was obsessed with creating the perfect key lime pie. To me, that involves a thick graham cracker crust, a tart lime base, and good old-fashioned merengue on top. Mmmm. Don’t get me wrong, though, I wouldn’t kick this key lime pie off my plate if it were in front of me! Looks delicious.
PS, wow! You squeezed all the key limes! I am tres impressed.
VG, you could make this vegan if you used tofutti cream cheese, vegan butter and a vegan condensed milk alternative. I think CI has a recipe.
Jen, I went to the trouble of squeezing all the little key limes and making a homemade crust. However, I think this would be just as good with bottled key lime juice and a simpler (or even store-bought) crust.
Jen Schall @ My Kitchen Addiction
Looks delicious! I have been on a lime kick lately – just made a lime pie last week! I like that this key lime pie doesn’t have eggs in it – makes it simpler!
OOOOH so tart and tangy – love it!!