This no-bake key lime icebox cake is perfect for summer, but that didn’t stop me from making it in January. Why not? It combines two of our family’s favorite desserts – Key lime pie and icebox cake.
I spotted Key Lime Icebox Cake over a year ago in Southern Living where they topped it with freshly sweetened whipped cream. I cheated a little and used Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice and light non-dairy whipped topping, but other than that I was pretty true to the recipe.
My mother always used the term “icebox” in reference to the refrigerator, but this “icebox” cake is kept in the freezer. When ready to serve, you plop out the frozen cake, decorate it with whipped cream and cut it into squares. Another way to do it is to cut the frozen cake into squares, wrap them individually and plate as needed for single serving desserts. That’s what we did, which means we’ll eat this over a period of weeks. Next time I might try halving it and assembling it in a loaf pan.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups half & half
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1/2 cup bottled Key lime juice (I used Nellie and Joe’s) or fresh lime juice
- 45 graham cracker squares
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, preferably one with a spout, whisk together the yolks and half & hal. Whisk the half & half mixture gradually into the sugar mixture. Set over medium heat and whisk continuously until mixture thickens. When mixture thickens, set time for 1 minute and continue whisking. Remove from heat and add butter and lime zest, whisking until butter has melted. Whisk in the lime juice. Pour into a metal bowl, set the metal bowl in a larger bowl of ice water. Let sit for about 10 minutes, stirring off and on until mixture is cool.
- To assemble, Llne an 8 inch square pan with plastic wrap leaving about 4 inches of overhang.
- Lay 9 graham cracker squares on the bottom of the pan, sides touching.
- Spread about a quarter of the lime mixture over the graham crackers. Repeat until you have 4 layers of filling and 5 layers of graham crackers.
- Bring plastic wrap tightly up and around cake and freeze for about 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, lift from pan and set on a plate. Spread sweetened whipped cream of whipped topping over the top layer of graham crackers. Cut into large squares.