Butter Crunch Lemon Cottage Cheese Bars. Phew! That is a long name. They actually go by Butter Crunch Lemon-Cheese Bars, but since cottage cheese is popular right now I put "Cottage" in the title. This is just another way to use it. It's a great recipe from cookbook author Greg Patent which came years ago via Cooking Light. I've been making these on and off for a while now.
Butter Crunch Lemon Cheese Bars
Here's a link to the Cooking Light recipe collection where you can see the original recipe and read the reviews.
The original directions as well as what I've printed below call for the crust to be made in a mixing bowl and the filling in a food processor. However, if you'd rather not mess up a bowl you can make the crust for Butter Crunch Lemon Cottage Cheese Bars in the food processor as well.
The bars need some time to chill, and if you have time overnight is best. They also freeze very well. You can serve them plain or dress them up with a little whipped cream and fruit. They also work well with lime in place of lemon, so if you are a Key lime fan you can give that a try as well.
If the idea of a lemon bar appeals to you but you want something quicker and more convenient, here's another recipe called Cake Mix Lemon Cheese Bars.
Butter Crunch Lemon Cottage Cheese Bars
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter softened, do not use tub style
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 4.5 oz/127 gram
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese I use 2%
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8-inch square metal pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray or line it with nonstick foil (or parchment if that's what you prefer).
- To prepare crust, place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Add the 1 cup flour to the butter mixture, and beat at low speed until well-blended. Press crust into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Let cool while you make the filling.
- To prepare filling, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process 2 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once. Add 1 cup granulated sugar and remaining ingredients, and process until well-blended. Pour filling over crust. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set (the edges will get lightly browned), and cool. Cover and chill for 8 hours.