If you are wondering how caramel bits would work in chocolate chip cookies, give these Salted Caramel Bits Chocolate Chip Cookies a try! Or better yet, add a little espresso powder for Caramel Macchiato Cookies. This recipe combines an earlier recipe with espresso powder, an egg yolk and Kraft Caramel Bits.
Caramel Macchiato Cookies
When I first made these I was on an espresso-powder kick and added the coffee. The combination of the espresso powder and the caramel bits made the cookies special. These days I often leave the coffee out, add a little sea salt at the end for Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies. Below are the usual measurements, but you can adjust the amount of chocolate and caramel. Make sure you use parchment paper or nonstick foil, because the cookies come out of the oven pretty sticky. They do firm up and the caramel bits add a nice chew and flavor.
Caramel Flavored Chips
I posted this recipe right about the time Ghirardelli caramel flavored chips appeared on the market. Now Hershey’ makes the caramel flavored chocolate chips as well. These caramel flavored chips are completely different from Kraft Caramel Bits. The caramel bits are actually little pellets of chewy caramel, while the caramel flavored chips are more like flavored white chocolate or bits of leche quemada.
Caramel Macchiato Cookies aka Salted Caramel Bits Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup grams brown sugar, packed (100 grams)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (74 grams)
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening (63 grams)
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup Kraft caramel bits more if you like
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; Set aside.
- Using high speed of an electric mixer, beat both sugars, butter and shortening until creamy. Beat in espresso powder. Reduce speed to low and mix in egg, egg yolk and vanilla – do not overbeat after adding the egg. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until flour is incorporated. Add chocolate chips and caramel bits.
- Drop cookies by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden around edges and set. Transfer to a rack to cool.