Since yesterday I’ve been obsessed with putting banana into the oatmeal part of Revel Bars. Well maybe not obsessed, but let’s just say it’s crossed my mind enough times to bring on a massive banana/chocolate craving. I never got around to trying banana in Revel Bars, but I did make good use of some bananas. These are Vegan Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Bars.
Flax Egg and Vegan Butter
This is modified from a recipe off Recipezaar, but I’ve changed it quite a bit. A flax and water combo stands in for the egg. You can still use 1 large egg, but I made these with 1 tablespoon of flax mixed with 3 tablespoons hot water. For the vegan version, use any non-dairy spread with at least 90 calories per tablespoon. If making the regular version you can use regular salted or unsalted butter.
This photo shows the bars straight out of the oven, so they are a little moist in this photo. They taste better once cooled and set.
If you try the Vegan Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Bars, let me know what you think!
Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Bars (Vegan Option)
- ¾ cup all purpose unbleached flour or white whole wheat
- ½ teaspoon salt use ¼ if using salted vegan spread
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened, or vegan spread
- ½ cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 large egg or 1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons hot water**
- 1 ½ ripe bananas mashed or pureed (a little over ¾ cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats or old fashioned oats buzzed in processor
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped vegan approved chocolate
- ⅓ cup toasted walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with non-stick foil or parchment.
- Mix together flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg (or flax), bananas and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir until absorbed, then stir in oats, chocolate chips and walnuts. Spread batter in the pan and bake for 25 minutes or until set. Set pan on a rack to cool, then lift from pan and cut into 16 squares or 12 bars.