In contrast to the M&Ms bars from earlier this week, Chocolate Chip Walnut Bars have a little more nutrition. Made with whole wheat flour, a touch of honey, light olive oil, toasted walnuts and two flavors of chips, they’re good for dessert, a snack or even breakfast.
In fact, as I write this Fuzz is reading over my shoulder and taking the breakfast part seriously. I told her yes (because it’s Sunday), but it must be accompanied with a glass of milk. I’ll take mine with coffee.
Chocolate Chip Walnut Bars
- 1/3 cup 1.5 ounces whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup 1.5 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup extra light olive oil or whatever oil you have
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra dark chocolate chips or more
- 1/4 cup white chips or more
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch metal pan with nonstick foil.
- Mix both flours, the brown sugar, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a second bowl, lightly whish the egg, oil, honey and vanilla together. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the nuts, chocolate chips and white chips. Pour into the pan and spread to the edges
- Bake on center rack for 18 to 20 minutes or until brown. Let cool completely. Cut into 16 squares
Adapted from a light and tasty recipe in Taste of Home. I think these would also be great with maple syrup in place of honey.