This recipe for Chocolate Chip Walnuts Bars is such a good one! Or good if you like sweets that have a little nutritional value to them. These soft cookie bars are made with whole wheat flour, a touch of honey, light olive oil, toasted walnuts and two flavors of chips. They're good for dessert, a snack or even breakfast.
Originally from an old Taste of Home supplement, I first made these for Fuzz when she was a little girl and can attest that they are kid-friendly. Well, only if the kids you're baking for can eat and like nuts. That should be obvious from the name. Because these are a little softer and cakier than other blondies, they really do need the nuts to round out the texture. Also, they're not as chewy and candy-like as typical Blondies or Toll House bars.
Using Walnut Oil in Walnut Chocolate Chip Bars
The recipe calls for light olive oil, but if you really want to play up the walnut flavor you can incorporate a little walnut oil. Some brands have a pretty strong flavor, so keep that in mind if using walnut oil and maybe use only a tablespoon as part of the ¼ cup.
Other Ingredient Notes
Whole wheat flour adds flavor and texture to the bars. If you really love the flavor of whole wheat, you can use 100% whole wheat. However, the bars will be dryer since whole wheat flour absorbs more moisture. I recommend using a mix of whole wheat and AP. For the brown sugar, feel free to use dark in place of light for more of a molasses flavor, and for the honey you could surely replace it with molasses. I haven't tried it yet, but am positive it would work.
Chocolate Chip Walnut Bars
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour (42 grams)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour (42 grams)
- ¼ cup tightly packed light brown sugar (50-55 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup extra light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (40 grams)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup chocolate chips or more
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips or more
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch metal pan with nonstick foil or grease and line with parchment.
- Mix both flours, the brown sugar, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a second bowl, lightly whisk the egg, oil, honey and vanilla together. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the nuts, chocolate chips and white chips. Pour into the pan and spread to the edges
- Bake on center rack for 18 to 20 minutes or until brown. Let cool completely. Cut into 16 squares