Cream Cheese Banana Bread is one of my very favorite banana bread recipes.
At first I wasn’t so sure I’d like it, but the cream cheese adds moisture, flavor and structure. The bread rises quite a bit while baking and the texture is sturdy, yet light at the same time. It’s not as dense as some banana breads, not overly sweet, and definitely worth throwing into your big pile of banana bread recipes.
Cream Cheese Banana Bread Ingredient Notes
- All-Purpose Flour — For best results, weigh out 10.1 oz or about 280 grams. For a slightly crustier banana bread, try using 280 grams of bread flour.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda — A little of both! Baking powder helps it rise and baking soda gives the banana bread a golden brown crust.
- Salt — 1/2 teaspoon is plenty since there’s also salt in the cream cheese
- Cream Cheese — For best results, make sure your cream cheese is very soft and not at all cold.
- Butter — I make this with unsalted. If you have salted butter, you can use that and reduce the salt in the recipe to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Sugar — 1 cup granulated is about 200 grams. You can substitute 1/2 cup brown sugar for 1/2 cup of the granulated if you like the flavor of brown sugar.
- Eggs — Try to remember to bring them to room temperature.
- Vanilla — Vanilla is optional, but it adds more flavor to the bread. Try Mexican vanilla!
- Pecans — Use any kind of nut. Walnuts are good too.
- Cinnamon Sugar Topping — Adds a little extra crunch and flavor
Cream Cheese Banana Bread
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour 10.1 oz
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup mashed banana 8 oz
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans toasted and chopped (divided use)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon mixed with 1 heaping teaspoon sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan. For a taller loaf, use a slightly smaller pan such as an 8×4 or 8 1/2 by 4 1/2.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl; set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add bananas, eggs and vanilla and beat until mixed.
- Add flour mixture and stir until it is almost mixed in. Add the ¾ cup of the pecans and stir pecans mixed and flour has disappeared – -batter should still be pretty lumpy.
- Pour into pan. Toss remaining 1/4 cup pecans with cinnamon/sugar mixture and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Makes 1 loaf