Reduced Fat Chocolate Muffins is a recipe for small batch chocolate muffins made with cocoa powder, Greek yogurt, applesauce and other things. One of the other ingredients was whole wheat pastry flour, but I’ve since tested with the equivalent all-purpose and it works just fine. Brown sugar is another ingredient that can be modified. If you’d prefer not to use brown sugar, you can use allulose. Amounts are in the notes.
Reduced Fat Chocolate Muffins Recipe Photo
Here’s a more recent photo. This one is an allulose chocolate muffin, with 100 grams of allulose plus a tablespoon of molasses standing in for the brown sugar. It made the muffins quite a bit moister and also cut about 800 calories out of the recipe. I also got 8 (2 1/2 oz) muffins when I used the allulose.
Reduced Fat Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour** 110 grams
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 30 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt 3/8 tsp
- 1/2 cup plus 2 T. light brown sugar packed (110 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 3 oz Greek yogurt (84 grams)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips 1 ½ oz
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. 6 muffin cups with paper liners
- Stack about 8 paper towels on the counter and pour applesauce on paper towels. Spread the applesauce around in a circle almost as wide as the towels letting the towels soak up moisture from the applesauce; Let sit for about 5 minutes. You could probably do this step in a strainer, but I did it with towels.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a small mixing bowl.
- Scrape the drained applesauce (weight should be 5 oz, volume should now be heaping ½ cup) off the towel and place it in a second mixing bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the dry mixture into the applesauce mixture and stir a few strokes, then add the chocolate chips and stir until blended.
- Divide batter equally among 6 muffin cups, filling to the top, and bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick or chopstick inserted in center comes out clean.