Here’s a little something I made for Todd this weekend. It’s a frozen grasshopper pie layered between two rows of ice cream sandwiches and coated in sweetened whipped cream. Unlike the last ice cream sandwich cake, this one is made in a square pan and has a little bit more filling. It’s also incredibly easy, which is pretty much the point of ice cream sandwich cakes. Naming it was not so easy. Todd suggested “Ice Cream Hopper Pie”, but I preferred the more descriptive “Grasshopper Ice Cream Sandwich Cake”. Fuzz liked my name so we went with that.
You could make this with any frozen grasshopper pie recipe, but I used one which calls for Creme de Menthe and marshmallows. If you don’t want to buy the Creme de Menthe or just want to try a different frozen pie, there are quite a few options. A peppermint version made with Peppermint Schnapps would be good, too. And finally, I recommend good ice cream sandwiches because the ones I used were kind of grainy. They were okay, but what a way to ruin a good dessert! If you live in Texas, the Blue Bell ones work well.
Update: If you like the idea of mint in your ice cream sandwich cake but don’t want to deal with making a grasshopper pie filling, the simple solution is to just use your favorite mint ice cream or mint gelato.
Grasshopper Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 12 Ice Cream Sandwiches use a good brand
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup Crème de Menthe green type
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2/3 cup Andes Mint Chunks or chopped Andes Mints
- Topping 1 cup whipping cream whipped with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or 2 cups of prepared whipped topping
- Garnish: Chocolate Syrup optional
- Line the inside of an 8 inch square baking dish or pan with plastic wrap or nonstick foil. You could also use a 9 inch pan, but it will require more sandwiches.
- Cover bottom of the dish with ice cream sandwiches (4 whole, 2 cut in half) and put in the freezer.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the sugar and marshmallows and heat mixture at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until mixture is melted and smooth. Stir in the Crème de Menthe and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Whip the 1 1/2 cups of cream. Fold the whipped cream into the mint mixture, then fold in the mint chips. Pour over the ice cream sandwiches, then add a second layer (6) of ice cream sandwiches.
- Bring plastic wrap up and around the ice cream cake to cover, then freeze for about 6 hours or until firm.
- Now it's time to cover the cake with whipped cream. You can whip the 1 cup of cream and flavor it with sugar and vanilla OR for a lighter coating, just use light whipped topping. Cover the frozen cake in whipped cream and return to the freezer, covered loosely this time, until ready to serve. To serve, let sit for about 10 minutes to soften slightly, then cut into squares.