My grocery store recently moved the unprocessed wheat bran from the bulk section to the cereal aisle. The downside is it’s now in a box, so it costs a little more. The upside is that the box, which happens to be Hodgson Mill brand, has a bunch of good recipes on the back, including these Chewy Wheat Bran Granola Bars.
Wheat Bran Granola Bars are for Bran Lovers
Wheat Bran Granola Bars are for bran lovers. If you are just okay with bran and choke it down because it’s good for you, you may not like these. However, if you love really grainy, chewy textured bran muffins and things like that, you’ll be happy. They’re definitely treat-worthy and sweet with the peanut butter, sugar and corn syrup, but the oats, oat bran and especially the wheat bran make the bars quite chewy. If you’re not sure you want to commit to a full 9×13 pan, just halve the recipe and make it in an 8 inch square pan.
Chewy Wheat Bran Granola Bars
- 1/3 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup oats
- 1 1/4 cups unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 1/4 cups oat bran
- 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 inch metal pan with nonstick foil.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the butter, corn syrup, peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Add the oats, wheat bran and oat bran and stir well, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Press mixture into the lined pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely (this is important). Remove from pan and slice into bars. For chewier bars, put them in the refrigerator.