Here’s a new one from Cooking Light. These Almond-Cherry Bars were featured in an article called Snack Bar Basics, which includes a step-by-step guide to making snack bars using oats, nut butter, liquid sweetener, a flavoring such as vanilla, nuts and dried fruit. You can mix and match your own creation or use one of the magazine’s.
Recipes in the article include Almond-Cherry Bars, Pistachio Raisin Bars, Cashew Apricot Bars and Peanut Butter Pretzel Apple Bars. For some reason I was drawn to the Almond-Cherry Bars, but I only had one ingredient (maple syrup) and had to make a Trader Joe’s run for the rest. A few hours later the bars were done.
They’re good, but not that sweet. Next time I’ll try a different brand or more generous measure of maple syrup or maybe use sweetened almond butter just to bump up the sweetness level a bit. However overall these are really good and I plan on making them again — maybe with some white chips thrown in.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 each tsp. vanilla and almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped unsalted roasted almonds or toasted slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup to ½ cup chopped unsweetened dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch metal baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Spread oats onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F until toasted, about 12 minutes. Place in a medium bowl and let cool.
- If your almond butter is already room temperature and your coconut oil is melted you can skip the microwave and just stir everything together, otherwise warm the almond butter, maple syrup, and coconut oil in the microwave. Mix with the vanilla, salt and egg white, then stir in the toasted oats, almonds and cherries.
- Press mixture firmly in the pan with a spatula or heavy duty scraper.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 22 minutes, then let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan by lifting foil, then let cool completely and cut into bars.