Bran Banana Bread is a combination of two breakfast favorites, bran and banana. I make it with unprocessed wheat bran, coconut oil and coconut sugar, so it’s healthy-ish but not at all dry. It is egg-free, so you can easily make it completely vegan by substituting another milk for the buttermilk. A little soy or almond milk mixed with lemon juice should do the trick.
Bran Banana Bread Notes
I really love this recipe and hope it works for others. I make it in an 8×4 inch loaf (1 pound capacity) but have also halved it and baked in a 5.75×3 loaf pan (mini). If you only have a 9×5 inch loaf pan you can still make it, it just won’t be quite as tall. As mentioned, I use coconut sugar, but regular sugar or even brown sugar is fine. However, you don’t really need to use brown sugar because the recipe has 2 tablespoons of molasses.
Substituting with Allulose
If you are trying to seriously cut sugar, you might consider substituting 1/2 cup of allulose (it’s less sweet, so you need more) for the 6 tablespoon of coconut sugar. I haven’t tested this exact recipe with allulose, but I’ve made very similar substitutions and it works just fine.
Bran Banana Bread
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 170 grams
- 1 1/4 cup unprocessed bran 80 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 large mashed bananas 280 grams
- 6 tablespoons sugar or coconut sugar 70 grams
- 1/4 cup coconut oil 52 grams
- 2 tablespoons molasses 40 grams
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or a vegan milk) 80 grams
- 1/3 cup walnuts or pecans coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan. Line with a little strip of parchment, then grease again.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the mashed banana, sugar, coconut oil, molasses and buttermilk.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until blended.
- Scrape into the pan, sprinkle nuts on top and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
I love hearing from other bakers and appreciate helpful comments. Rude ones will be deleted immediately.