In honor of Valentine’s Day, here’s a recipe for a breakfast-worthy chocolate bran cake. It’s super simple and can be made in one bowl.
The idea came from an old chocolate bran muffin recipe. I’ve been on a heart shape kick and thought baking the muffins as cake and cutting them out would be kind of fun. From a 13×9 inch cake, I was able to get 8 hearts which I wrapped individually and frozen for upcoming breakfasts.
Heart Shaped Chocolate Bran Cake
- 1 cup Fiber One or All Bran crushed after measuring
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour 4.5 oz
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch pan with nonstick foil or line with regular foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crushed cereal and buttermilk. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften cereal. Add oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla and stir until very well mixed. Stir in cocoa, baking soda and salt and (again) mix well. Finally, add the flour and stir just until mixed. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour cake batter into pan and smooth it with a spatula so it's flat. Bake for about 25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- Let cool for 10 minutes or let cool completely and chill (hearts are a little easier to cut when cold.
- Using a large heart shaped cookie cutter, punch out as many hearts as you can.