Last week I bought some Land o’ Lakes European Style Butter. I couldn’t find it in Austin, but it’s in several Chicago stores, and I’ve been testing it in various recipes. These Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies from Land o’ Lakes are one of the first recipes I’ve made using their new butter.
The European style butter chocolate chip cookies remind me a little of The New York Times chocolate chip cookies, but with a higher ratio of butter. They’re thick, crumbly, dense, and rich and even better when made with dough that’s been chilled for 24 hours.
As for the butter itself, it seems the European Style Land o’ Lakes is a bit creamier in texture and has a greasier mouth feel than regular butter. I haven’t noticed the flavor as being any richer than regular Land o’ Lakes, but the texture sure is creamier.
Land o'Lakes European Style Butter Cookies
- 1 cup cake flour 114 grams
- 3/4 cup bread flour 105 grams
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons Land O Lakes® European Style Butter softened**
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar 100 grams -- I used light brown
- 1/2 cup sugar 96 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg 50 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla I used 2
- At least 6 ounces 1 cup premium semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Coarse sea salt (I skipped
- Combine cake flour, bread flour, baking powder and baking soda in bowl; set aside.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in another bowl; With an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and stir until blended, then continue beating until well mixed. Add flour mixture with a heavy duty scraper or spoon, stirring just until it is mixed. Stir in chocolate chips. Press plastic food wrap onto dough surface; refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls; place 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Press cookies to 1/2-inch thickness; sprinkle tops with coarse sea salt (if desired). Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack.