After making what we all thought was a great rhubarb pie, I used some leftover stalks of rhubarb in this quick rhubarb bread.
Chopped Fresh Rhubarb Bread
I’d never tried rhubarb bread made with chopped fresh rhubarb and I’m glad I finally did. What a pleasant surprise! The rhubarb partially dissolves into the bread and the flavor melds with the orange zest so it’s kind of tart but without too much citrus. Like rhubarb pie, it has a unique flavor that seems to appeal to a broad audience. Okay, 3 people, but that’s broad enough for me. Give it a try if you have some fresh rhubarb!
The standard size loaf pan these days seems to be 9×5, but this recipe fits perfectly into the slightly smaller 8×4 inch loaf pan. Unfortunately 8×4 inch loaf pans that measure 8×4 inch across the top are getting harder to find. Some loaf pans say they are 8×4 inches, but are actually 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches across the top and 8×4 inches on the bottom. The disposable foil ones are usually true 8×4 inch pans and should work well. Or just use any loaf pan you have an expect a shorter loaf.
Rhubarb Bread With Streusel Topping
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 5.7 oz
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar 5.25 oz
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter melted and cooled (I used salted)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8×4 inch (6 cup capacity) loaf pan
- Whisk the flour, salt and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of egg, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the sugar mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Stir in rhubarb and orange, then spread the batter in the prepared loaf pan.
- Topping: In a bowl, combine the flour, sugars and cinnamon. Add the butter and stir until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of the loaf.
- Bake for for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a loaf comes out clean or a meat thermometer registers 210 degrees. Let the loaf cool for about 40 minutes in the pan, then carefully remove from the pan and let cool completely. Serve when cool, or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to serve.