Originally from Cooking Light, Rhubarb Pudding Cake is a gem if you have a rhubarb fan in the family. You put a pound of chopped fresh rhubarb in a baking dish, toss it with sugar, then spread an easy batter over the top. The batter bakes into a soft and tender cake with a thin layer of sweet, tart, rhubarb sauce.
I think Rhubarb Pudding Cake is probably best served warm — not too hot, not too cold. The picture below was taken on Day 2 after it had set somewhat in the refrigerator. I warmed it for a few seconds in the microwave after cutting.
Rhubarb Pudding Cake is lighter than Rhubarb Pie, and much quicker. You can have it ready from start to finish in less than 90 minutes (allowing for a little cooling time). I used fresh rhubarb because it’s in season, but if you have some frozen rhubarb that would probably work as well. Also, the addition of strawberries might make this even better! If you try it, let me know what you think and what changes you made. I definitely plan on making this one again.
Rhubarb Pudding Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 130 grams
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter softened, plus more for pan
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pound fresh rhubarb chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in 2/3 cup of the sugar and beat for 1 minute, scraping side of bowl. Stir in the egg and beat for about 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl, then beat in cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk alternately to the batter, stirring until blended.
- Spread the chopped rhubarb in the bottom of the baking dish and toss with the remaining 2/3 cup of sugar. Spread the batter over the top of the rhubarb. It may not go all the way to the sides.
- Bake the pudding cake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out with moist crumbs.
- Let cool before serving or serve warm.