I meant to post Betty Ford’s Thanksgiving Cookies recipe last year before Thanksgiving, but somehow I didn’t get around to it and ended up making her chocolate cookies for Christmas. So here’s the recipe in time for Thanksgiving 2021, so you can continue Mrs. Ford’s tradition. The recipe is from The Gerald Ford Foundation via The Takeout.
This chocolate cookie recipe is a little different. The dough calls for sour cream, some melted unsweetened chocolate and a lot of cocoa powder. It gives you firm but slightly fudgy cookies. Here’s a texture shot.
Betty Ford’s Thanksgiving Cookies for Christmas
No room for cookies at Thanksgiving? Turn them into Christmas cookies. Just drizzle with melted white bark and sprinkle on some chopped peppermint, which is what I did last year. I’ll probably make them again this year as well, but might add Amaretto or Kahlua and top with ganache glaze.
Betty Ford’s Thanksgiving Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened (salted or unsalted okay) (230 grams)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar (350 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate melted (28 grams)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (56 grams)
- 2 cups flour (260 grams)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (natural)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups white or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and beat well. Add the brandy or vanilla. Stir in the melted chocolate and the sour cream.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, then add to the batter, stirring until blended. You can do this by hand or using low speed of a mixer.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the nuts. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for about 12 minutes. If making the cookies larger, you'll need to bake for about 15 minutes. Do not over-bake.
I love hearing from other bakers and appreciate helpful comments. Rude ones will be deleted immediately.