Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on February 9, 2006 · 14 comments

This is a really old one, and I believe it comes from Crisco.

Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter flavored shortening (or use butter)
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup malted milk powder
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 large egg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, beat together shortening, brown sugar, malted milk powder, chocolate syrup, and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Mix in egg.

In a small bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips

Shape into 1 1/2 to 2 inch balls; place about 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool for 2 minutes on pan before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: 2 dozen

Published on February 9, 2006

Anonymous February 9, 2006 at 4:42 pm

I made some cookies a few weeks ago from the Cookie Bible that had pineapple in them.They had a cake like texture to them.Pretty good.Emily http://madmommychronicles.typepad.com/biscuits_and_blues

~~my~~ February 9, 2006 at 5:21 pm

are most pinaapple cookies soft and cake like? or there are other pineapple cookies that will turn crispy?

Culinarily Obsessed February 9, 2006 at 8:32 pm

The Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies are rather handsome! So are they more of a cakey cookie?

Michele February 9, 2006 at 8:55 pm

I have been totally into Jack Johnson since I saw his video from that new Curious George movie. The pineapple cookies sound awesome!

Anna February 9, 2006 at 9:53 pm

Michele, you, me and Val can start a Jack Johnson fan club. Anyone else want to join? I hope this Curious George movies gets him the recognition he deserves. What a dreamboat.Jaay, they are not cakey. They are chewy, lumpy and muli-facted. Not too thin, not too thick. ~My~, I suppose all pinapple cookies are cakey. I’ll bet there’s a way to make a chewy one with crispy edges, but I don’t know how to do it. Maybe used dried pineapple? I don’t know.

Tasha February 10, 2006 at 12:47 pm

The malted choc chips look very good! I’m going to go make some so I can use up my malted milk powder, but just wanna check, so these cookies do have egg in them? You mentioned in your writeup that these did not have eggs but the recipe has an egg in it. Sorry, just want to be sure before I start. Thanks!

Anna February 10, 2006 at 4:24 pm

Hi Tasha,They do have one egg :).Hope you like it.

Anna February 10, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Tasha, I revised it to make it clearer. I said lack of eggs, but I meant that it was lacking in eggs with one egg as opposed to the usual two. So I edited a bit be clearer. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Anonymous February 13, 2006 at 6:12 am

What brand of malt powder do you use? I bought some the other day (Carnation, I think) but when I got it home I realized that it was chocolate malted drink mix. I’m sure I’ll be able to use it for something, but I wasn’t sure if it was the right thing to use for these cookies.Thanks!

Jenine February 13, 2006 at 10:24 am

Anna – I can’t find malted milk powder anywhere in the stores where I live. Can you use the malted version of Ovaltine? That’s the closest I can get.

tasha February 14, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Anna, thanks for the clarification. I tried the cookies. YUM! They were delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anna February 14, 2006 at 4:02 pm

Hi Tasha!Glad you liked them. Now you’re going to have to figure out how to use the rest of the malted milk powder :).

Tara March 30, 2010 at 11:41 am

This is one of my new favorites! Only I make bars because it’s just quicker and easier. And I melt the butter and add an extra egg yolk. Am I correct for adding the yolk to bars? It seems most cookie recipes call for 2 eggs; why does this one call for just one?

I *love* the malt flavor in these! And I enjoy telling people the secret ingredient they are tasting but can’t quite place! The Hershey’s syrup adds a little something extra, too!

Anna March 30, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Tara, a lot of recipes call for 1 egg. It really just depends on how you want your cookie. This dough seems to get enough moisture from the 1 egg and the chocolate syrup. However, your addition of 1 egg yolk sounds interesting — especially considering you make these as bars. Yolk has a different consistency than egg whites so you’re adding a bit of fat, moisture and not quite as much protein as if you added a whole egg. The yolk, plus the melted butter must make your bars soft, moist, and dense. They sound great! I’m going to have to try making these your way.