Luby’s Butternut Brownie Pie

Served at a popular Texas cafeteria called Luby’s, this is one of my mom’s favorite pies.

luby's butternut brownie pie cut.jpg

Luby’s Butternut Brownie Pie

Butter for rubbing pie plate (about 1 tablespoon)
5 large or 4 “extra large” egg whites
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
14 graham cracker squares, broken into half inch pieces
1 cup chopped, toasted pecans

Topping:
1 cup whipping cream
3-4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rub a 9 inch glass pie plate generously with butter.

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and baking powder until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar, beating constantly. Add 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Using a rubber scraper, fold in graham crackers and chopped, toasted pecans. Pour mixture into pie plate and bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Prepare topping. In a chilled bowl, using chilled beaters, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. Top pie with whipped cream.

Cross Section

lubys butternut brownie pie cross.jpg

What it looked like prior to being baked

lubys before.jpg

What it looked like after I took it out of the oven and before I covered it with whipped cream. The orange stuff is crushed Butterfinger candy. It’s marking the small quadrant where I mixed a bit of Butterfinger into the pie filling to see how it would taste. It’s probably going to be too sweet, but I will let you know.

luby's after.jpg

Comments

1. Amy says

So why is it called butternut pie? I was expecting a sweet potato pie like recipe, but no. Then I thought, “Lots of butter and nuts?” But no to that too. Interesting.

I saw you on Secret Life Of. . .this week. I think george Duran is funny.

Hi Amy,

My friend in The Netherlands just made this pie (she’s FAST!) and said she liked it too. Good question about the name. It sounds like either a brownie pie or a squash pie.

George is genuinely nice and I guess that comes across on TV. My mom and dad both commented (separate phone calls from separate towns) on how funny he was and what a good job he did. My dad is a barbecue expert and was very, very impressed at George’s success at the Humble Barbecue Cook-Off.

3. Ingrid, your fast dutch friend :) says

Hi Anna,

I saw the recipe on your blog this morning before I went to work.
    Gathered the ingredients so that when I got back all I had to do was make it, and bake it.
    And, as I said, we love it.
    I had it for dessert just two hours ago and allready long for a second piece
    (my poor diet)

Ingrid

Ingrid, thanks for trying it so quickly. The pie has gone global.

Here’s my pie report.

My mother and her boyfriend stopped by for a quick visit so I gave them a slice of pie. George loved it and my mother commented on how she’d tasted this pie at some point in her life but didn’t know what it was or where she had it (Luby’s maybe??). She liked it enough that it brought back a taste memory, so that was good.

I saved the Butterfinger quadrant for myself. It wasn’t bad, but I think I’d try using chocolate grahams or playing with other buttery flavors before adding candy.

This could be quite diet-friendly, using low-fat grahams, replacing 1/3 to 1/2 sugar with Splenda, and topping with Cool Whip instead of creme. (Lactose intolerant-friendly too :)

6. Debbi says

Anna – if that Culinate contest is real you should post it on your site. I just saw that your blog is #24. The contest just runs through next week. Might be fun to see where you end up.

Whenever I think of Luby’s, I think of that horrible shooting there. My ex’s dad loved Luby’s and we used to go there a lot in AZ. I never had this pie though.

I took a look at the Culinate site Carol posted. Wow! It’s pretty neat. Thanks so much to those of you who voted. I really appreciate it.

9. Sarah says

This is the best pie I have ever tasted in forever… my aunt made it for thanksgiving and i got to try a piece and it is awesome~!!

Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for your comment!

If you get a chance, please tell your aunt I said thanks for making it. I was very happy with the recipe too and posted it because it seemed unique.

11. terri says

i’m confused. is it really only 14 of the squares of graham crackers or 14 of the rectangles? 14 squares doesn’t sound like enough

Hi Terri

It’s been a while since I made this, but I knew I’d forget whether it was squares or rectangles so I wrote “squares”. So if you make it, use 14 squares. If you feel it’s not enough, you can throw in some more.

13. Krystle says

This was my absolute favorite dessert at Luby’s. Its cooling right now… I cant wait to put the whip cream on it and dig in. I will be back to let u know how it came out….

14. Dedra Amato says

This was my very favorite pie growing up as a kid and going to Luby’s! I can’t believe I found your recipe! My pie is in the oven now!

Thank you!