Coco-Loco Brownies

by on August 26, 2008 · 21 comments

I wasn’t really in the mood for coconut, but this week’s been kind of crazy and I liked the title of this recipe so I made it anyway. It’s called Coco-Loco Brownies from Rachel Ray Every Day – same issue as the most-excellent Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Crunch Bars.

This recipe exceeded my expectations in every possible way. First off, all the brownie batter is made in a big saucepan and doesn’t require the use of any small appliances. The coconut mixture, which gets dropped on the top, gets mixed in a separate bowl, but that takes 2 seconds to do and the bowl was pretty easy to rinse out. In short, putting these together was a cinch.

But let’s get to the important part. Appearance was quite striking. For such a simple recipe, these are muy impressivo! Muy bonita, que? Si! And while they do contain coconut, the coconut is mixed with a bit of condensed milk so it has a flavorful burnt milk macaroon quality to it which makes the brownies taste like fudge brownies with soft macaroons dropped on top. Delicioso! They are dense, fudgy, sturdy, and loaded with almonds and chocolate – definitely worthy of your next fiesta. Of course, I’ll probably just send mine to work with Todd.

If you don’t have an upcoming fiesta either, you can cut the recipe in half. Follow RR’s directions as written, but cut everything in half and bake the brownies in an 8 inch square metal pan for about 28-30 minutos.

Since I didn’t make any real changes to the recipe (aside from halving it), here’s a link to the original Coco Loco Brownies recipe.

Coco Loco Brownies Recipe Here. This is Where To Click.

Coco Loco Brownies

fiesta dog

Published on August 26, 2008

Lisa Ernst August 26, 2008 at 12:13 pm

These look awesome! Definitely will go to the top of my “to make” brownie list!

VeggieGirl August 26, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Oooh, yum!! And aww, Lizzie :-D

Amigos homeschoolers August 26, 2008 at 12:33 pm

I give you a meme, because I love your blog. Is in spanish, becaus I am from Spain…

Is a meme about air, you must to say 6 good things about air and 6 things that unlike you about air (I’m sorry for my english, is more easy for me read, I know that is very bad, but I’m learning )
Is here:

clumbsycookie August 26, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Can’t stpo smiling about Lizzie’s photo! I love the name of the brownies too, they must taste like Almond Joy or Bounty bars. Gracias!

Veronica August 26, 2008 at 12:42 pm

These look so scrumptious and I can’t wait to try them.

Katrina August 26, 2008 at 12:54 pm

They look delish! I made some “almond joy brownies” once and didn’t really like them. I love the idea of the condensed milk making them gooey, sweet, macaroon-y on top. Mine weren’t that way. Glad you’re happy with your choice today!

Therese B. August 26, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I am not a HUGE fan of coconut alone…but when it is a mounds type bar…yum!! These look great. Are they really sweet?

I will have to try!

OH….PUPPY LOVE…he is sooooooo cute! Everytime I see him…I think it is time for a new puppy at our house.

snookydoodle August 26, 2008 at 2:02 pm

hmmm this are more than delicious. i love coconut. I ll try them yumm yummy .

Brenda August 26, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Yummm! Those look so good. They look similar to a recipe we used to make in the 80’s called Magic Cookie bars http://allrecipes.com/recipe/magic-cookie-bars-from-eagle-brand/Detail.aspx
made with a graham cracker crust. I like the idea of a brownie bottom. May have to give these a try.

Heidi August 26, 2008 at 2:30 pm

muy sabroso!

Amy D. August 26, 2008 at 2:31 pm

I saw those brownies in the magazine and thought they looked delicious. I love coconut and chocolate–mmmm now I want a Mounds bar.

dawn August 26, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Cutie Lizzie!
I just made something with coconuts too. I was craving it something fierce.
Your brownies look delish–everything you make looks wonderful.

bonnie August 26, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Love coconut and have been looking for new recipes– this is going to be fabulous, I can tell! Thanks for all the great ideas.

Cathy - Wheresmydamnanswer August 26, 2008 at 4:02 pm

These really look amazing and actually I think yours look even better than the ones on Rachel Ray’s site!!

anonymous August 26, 2008 at 4:51 pm

These look wonderful. Must-make-soon!!!

Joe August 26, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Lizzie is way too cute! Look at those ears!

vanessa August 26, 2008 at 9:11 pm

oh must make soon! those look so yummy

RecipeGirl August 27, 2008 at 7:22 am

I was just looking at this recipe yesterday and thinking that these looked good. Glad to hear they are! And I’m often impressed with how well some of the RR recipes turn out.

Katerina August 27, 2008 at 8:29 pm

These looks totally amazing! I don’t think I have ever made any of Rachel Ray’s baked goods, she isn’t exactly known for it but I have bookmarked these.

Suzanne September 1, 2008 at 9:49 am

Excellent recipe–I didn’t get the parchment paper “crosswise” direction. It didn’t make sense so I used the non-stick foil and did it lengthwise (maybe that’s what crosswise is?). Nonetheless, it was hit and I love this cookie/dessert “smut” blog!

Anna September 1, 2008 at 10:12 am

Ha! I never even look at directions for lining pans anymore so I didn’t even catch that. Glad you liked the brownies, Suzanne!

I should go check RR’s site and see if they’ve added any new great recipes. I need something for today.