Thanksgiving Cherry-Berry Pie

by on November 20, 2009 · 17 comments

November isn’t cherry season, but you can still serve cherry pie in the fall. The trick is finding a recipe that makes good use of the alternatives – canned and frozen. Mixing cherries with raspberries is one way of making a canned cherry pie more exciting. While you won’t get the firm texture of fresh, cherry-season cherries, the cherry-raspberry combo has such a great flavor that combined with a good crust, will make most cherry pie lovers happy. Or at least the ones around here.

Cherry-Berry Pie

Thanksgiving Cherry-Berry Pie

1 unbaked pie crust (see directions below) plus second unbaked crust for latticing.

Filling:
1 (14 to 16 ounce) can pitted tart cherries, drained, liquid reserved**
1 (12 oz) package frozen raspberries, thawed, drained, juice reserved
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoon softened regular butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine half cup of cherry liquid and half cup of the raspberry juice to make one cup combined. Set the juice and fruit aside.

Combine sugars and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Whisk in the 1 cup of fruit juice and cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in almond extract, vanilla and soft butter. Stir in drained cherries and raspberries.

Fill pie shell with cherry-berry mixture. Roll out second portion of dough into a 12 inch circle and cut into 1 inch strips. Arrange in a lattice pattern over cherry filling, weaving strips crosswise over and under lengthwise strips. Trim pastry strips even with edge of bottom crust. Fold bottom pastry over lattice strips and seal. Flute edge.

Shield edges of pie with foil to prevent excess browning if you feel you need too. I didn’t. Set pie on a baking sheet and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove foil strip during final 15 minutes of baking time.

Makes 8 servings

Published on November 20, 2009

Louise November 20, 2009 at 12:09 pm

That looks yummy. I wish I could drop by for a slice. :-)

Sue November 20, 2009 at 12:11 pm

That looks really excellent! When I made a similar pie earlier this year I had some issues with a slightly runny filling, but yours looks like it was trouble free! Your lattice top is pretty too.

gloria November 20, 2009 at 12:16 pm

This is not a comment about the pie that looks delicious. It is a comment about how I have learned to keep the crust from getting soggy. What works for me is to sprinkle a little bit of extra flour on the bottom of the pie crust once it is in the pan AND always preheat the baking sheet with the oven so the baking sheet is hot when you put the pie on it. I did this for Anna’s Browned butter pecan pie last night and the crust stayed crisp even after being refrigerated!!!!!

Katrina November 20, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Cherry is one of my favorites, but I love the idea of usings berries with it!
And your crust does look de-lish!

Dolce November 20, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Awww this looks really flaky and nice. Maybe you don’t need at all new tutorial whatsoever now :)

Anna November 20, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Louise, I do too.

Sue, this wasn’t runny yesterday and it’s even less runny today after having been refrigerated overnight. Thanks

Gloria, that baking sheet tip is a good one. I’ll try it. Also, thanks for the comments on my pecan pie.

Katrina, it’s our favorite too…..which is why I’m making it in November.

Dolce, I still need practice. Believe me ;).

katherine November 20, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Wow Anna! What a beautiful pie. Cherry pie is the best.

Chris Mower November 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm

*drooling*

teresa November 21, 2009 at 7:26 am

That crust looks divine! And so does the filling.

Hendria November 21, 2009 at 8:56 am

The pie looks great….nice combo of fruit… :)

Barbara November 21, 2009 at 11:57 am

Oh gosh! I’m gonna love this pie. Cherries AND raspberries? YUM.

Gloria November 21, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Do you know if there is any difference in baking times and temps if I use a glass pie plate?

Anna November 21, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Gloria, I used a glass pie plate for this so they should be the same.

Gloria November 21, 2009 at 1:49 pm

How about for the pecan pie? I used a disposable foil pan, but I just purchased a glass pan. And do you recommend aluminum over glass or visa versa? Thanks for your hellp!!!

Clara Curtis November 21, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Cherry pie is by far my favorite. Well, other than pumpkin, but cherry is a close-contender.

Are there any more other berry choices that will really compliment cherry? I’m wondering if blackberries would work too.

Anna November 21, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Last time I made the pecan pie I used a foil pan, but normally I use a glass pan.

Clara, I think I’d pick the raspberries over the blackberries, but you can always experiment.

Christie November 22, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Beautiful pie, and I love the idea of making it for Thanksgiving…definitely a deviation from the pumpkin and apple pies, although I do love making those, too.