Golden Oreo Cupcakes

by on March 7, 2011 · 22 comments

Picking Golden Oreos over regular was an unusual choice, but I was craving vanilla and put a bag in the grocery cart last week. I’d tried them before, but had forgotten just how light-textured and buttery/vanilla tasting they were; no packaged-cookie-buyer’s remorse that day! Still, I felt a little guilty about choosing packaged cookies over homemade and decided to bake them into cupcakes.

Golden Oreo Cupcakes

There are a few Golden Oreo Cupcake recipe out there, but this one is different because it makes a very small batch. For the base, I used a variation on an old Small Batch Baking recipe and for the icing I used cornstarch icing on one and made powdered sugar icing for the rest. If you need a quick cupcake fix and have some Golden Oreos around, maybe this recipe will come in handy. The kids around here loved these! I’m not sure they even noticed the little chunks of Oreo inside the cake, but they loved the big Golden Oreo sticking out of the middle of the frosting.

Golden Oreo Cupcakes

1/2 cup flour (2.25 oz)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons regular salted butter (if using unsalted, add pinch of salt)
1/4 cup milk mixed with a teaspoon of lemon juice or buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg yolk
2 Golden Oreos, broken into piece

Icing:
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 to 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons milk or 1 tablespoon milk and 1 tablespoon cream (if you have some)
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 4 muffin cups with paper liners.

Combine the flour, sugar and baking soda in a small mixing bowl. Add the softened butter and mix it around to coat the flour mixture. Mix together the milk, vanilla and egg yolk and add half of the milk mixture to the flour mixture. Using low speed of a hand held mixer, beat just until mixed, then add remaining milk mixture and beat for one minute or just until smooth. Mix in the Oreos.

Divide evenly among 4 muffin tins and bake for 22 minutes or until set. Let cool and frost with vanilla icing.

Icing: Mix butter and confectioners’ sugar Add milk and vanilla. Beat until mixed, then increase speed of hand mixer and and beat until smooth and creamy, adjusting with more sugar or more milk as needed.

Makes 4

Published on March 7, 2011

Darlene March 7, 2011 at 8:44 am

Great looking small recipe – enough to satisfy a craving, and I like the idea of small chunks of Golden Oreos in the batter.

Sue March 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

The recipe you based these on is one that I love. I buy very few packaged cookies but I have to say I love Golden Oreos. If I buy cookies it’s either those or regular Oreos. What a great idea to put them in cupcakes! Which frosting did you like best with these?

vanillasugarblog March 7, 2011 at 10:44 am

that sounds good! i love using those golden oreo’s in baking.

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat March 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

What a pretty cupcake! I will have to try this out. P.S. I like the new font on your blog.

Michelle March 7, 2011 at 11:22 am

Those look REALLY good. I like how you scaled down the recipe–that way I won’t be tempted to eat as many! ;)

Gloria March 7, 2011 at 11:43 am

I have not tried a Golden Oreo cookie yet, but I will now! Do you think if I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 8×8 pan it would come out ok? I’m trying to adapt recipes to make it easier for me to bake.

Helena March 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I would really love to try these, but sadly they don’t have golden oreos over here :(

CaSaundra March 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I love regular Oreo cookie cupcakes so I bet these would be great!!

Katrina March 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Have you tried the Oreos that have one side vanilla and one side chocolate?

Jan March 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I repeat…I love your new look. I do miss the the option of seeing the previous days post (forward and back) at the top so I could refer back and also see any updated comments after I logged off. Thanks for a great blog!

Joanna March 7, 2011 at 5:22 pm

This recipe looks amazing! Maybe next Christmas I should make these with the Peppermint Candy Cane Oreo they sell!

Christie March 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Love the new design! Can you help me solve a problem? Made some chocolate cupcakes this weekend and they stuck to the paper and were a miss to eat! Any ideas what caused this? I was trying to make a hostess cupcake “copy”. Do you have any suggestions for a light fluffy filling other than “flour frosting”?

Darlene March 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Christie, I would like to hear the solution to your problem also, as I have found that foil cupcake liners are the only way to prevent sticking. Some of the paper ones are so pretty, but I always lose a good portion of cupcake sticking to their surface.

Anna March 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Christie, I don’t have that problem with cupcakes sticking. Maybe someone else has a good solution since it seems to be a common issue. One thing I do not do is spray the cupcake pans or the liners. I leave everything plain and fill the cupcake cups about 2/3 full depending on the recipe. I also loosen the cupcakes from the pan after about 5 minutes rather than let them sit and cool completely in the pan.

Tianne March 7, 2011 at 11:31 pm

what do you tihnk of that book? i was looking at it contemplating getting it the other day. the cupcakes look phenom!

Jess @ Bakericious March 8, 2011 at 1:59 am

I have not seen any golden oreo at my side yet, looks great!

Anna March 8, 2011 at 7:40 am

Small Batch Baking is a book that’s been around for a few years so you can probably get a good deal on Amazon. It’s got quite a diverse selection of recipes and the ones I’ve tried have been good. I especially like her chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies. The new book, Small Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers, is even better. Aside from having a chocolate focus, I think the recipes are a little better. The brownies were better and the small layer cakes (I tried the red velvet one) seem a little better. But yes, they’re definitely fun books.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie March 8, 2011 at 7:52 am

Mmmm golden Oreos are delicious :). It’s nice that these make a small batch!

Louise March 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

I think the cupcake sticking to the liner problem is that the cupcake is slightly overbaked. It doesn’t take much to cause that to happen. Remember that they continue to bake when they come out of the oven and are sitting on the rack to cool.

Rose Gold March 18, 2011 at 4:39 am

Wow. This is amazing. But I like it if that oreo biscuit is chocolate flavor. LOL.

Piano Schoenhut March 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

Golden Oreo cupcake sounds great! This will be a perfect treat for my kids when they got good grades on their last exam on Monday.

Gloria June 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I went out and purchased one, two, no three packages of Golden Oreos so far…I just finished one row from the latest package. I wish I had never seen this post!!! :) Will need to try the cupcakes.