Today’s recipe is from Steven, who got it from a trusted source (his godmother) but couldn’t make it work. The brownies tasted good, but were goopy and seemed underdone even though they appeared fully baked. My mission was to troubleshoot.
Not wanting to waste precious chocolate and Kahlua on goopy brownies, the first thing I did was search the Internet to see if the recipe existed elsewhere. Naturally, it did. I found it on Cooks.com and Recipesource and the versions were almost identical, except for pan size and flour discrepancies. Those sources called for 1 1/4 cups, while this recipe called for 1 ½ sifted cups. The varying amounts of flour and the fact that one of the recipes called for sifted were signals Steven’s problems probably came from not using enough flour. If we all baked with scales, this wouldn’t be an issue, but 1 ½ cups sifted flour can be anywhere 6 oz to 7 or even 8 depending on how heavy a hand is used to scoop and how well the flour is sifted and (possibly) humidity.
So long story short, I made the brownies using a guestimated 6.5 oz of flour and they were great. They’re dense, thick, and on the sweet side, but the generous amount of toasted walnuts helps temper the sweetness so if you use this recipe, don’t leave them out.
- Kahlua Fudge Brownies
- 1 1/2 c. sifted flour (determined that 6.5 oz weight worked)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 11 tablespoons butter (I used unsalted)
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs (large)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 T Kahlua plus a little extra for top
- 3/4 cup TOASTED chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9" square metal pan with foil, grease well or line with
- foil (recommended).
- Mix the flour with baking powder and salt. Melt butter with chocolate (did this in the microwave). Beat eggs with sugar until light. Add chocolate mixture and kahlua. Stir in flour mixture and nuts. Blend well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 30 minutes (35 minutes) or until the top springs back in the center and edges begin to pull away from the pan.
- Remove from oven and cool thoroughly in pan. Brush top with 1 T Kahlua.
- When cool, lift from pan and cut into 16 thick brownies.