This recipe may sound kind of strange to anyone outside of South Texas, but Pink Grapefruit Pie is an old favorite during Ruby Red season.
Pink Grapefruit Pie
Pink Grapefruit Pie is made with a graham cracker crust, strawberry gelatin and cream cheese.
- 1 2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs 22 squares, crushed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 of a 3 ounce package strawberry gelatin
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Ruby Red Grapefruits peeled, sectioned, membranes removed
- Whipped Topping of some sort for garnish
- Make crust first. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9 inch glass pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare filling. Whisk together water, sugar and flour in a saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring often, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and gelatin. Set aside to cool.
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Spread cream cheese mixture over crust. Arrange grapefruit over cream cheese filling. Pour gelatin mixture over grapefruit and chill until set.
- Garnish with whipped topping.