Credit goes to Dreena Burton, whose original version of this recipe (Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies) is in her book, Vive Le Vegan! These Maple-Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies are vegan, which means they are free of eggs and dairy. The key ingredient is maple syrup, which along with the canola oil adds enough moisture to keep these cookies nice and chewy.
Maple-Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract — 1 to 2
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup pecans toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and soda. Add sugar and salt and stir again.
- In a separate bowl, combine syrup, molasses, vanilla and oil.
- Make a funnel in the flour mixture and pour liquid into it. Stir to combine.
- Add chips and nuts and nuts, being careful not to overmix.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or just-set. Don’t over bake.
- Remove from oven and place cookies on cooling rack.
- Serves: 8-12
- Note: These last a long time and taste great chilled.