This recipe is from an old issue of Family Circle. I pretty much followed it as written, but threw in some extra marshmallows with the crème, used broken up Hershey Bars instead of the kisses and underbaked the center by about 5 minutes.
Gooey S'mores Bars
- 2 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs from 14 whole grahams
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter -- 3/4 stick melted
- 6 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate chopped
- 3/4 cup butter -- 1 1/2 sticks
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 jar marshmallow cream about 1 1/2 cups -- (7.5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup mini chocolate kisses
- 3 whole graham cracker boards -- broken up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare crust. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, salt and melted butter in a small bowl. Stir until moistened, then transfer the crumb mixture to the lined baking pan and press evenly over the bottom of the pan. Put in the refrigerator to set.
- Prepare brownie layer: Combine the bittersweet chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe glass bowl and heat on high, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- With a hand-held electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat together the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until well blended. Reduce the speed to medium and gradually add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture; beat until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally.
- Stir the flour and salt into the egg mixture. Then stir in the vanilla until smooth. Scrape the brownie mixture into the crust-lined baking pan; smooth the top level with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is smooth and the center is set when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Topping: While the brownie layer is baking, whisk together the marshmallow cream and the milk in a small bowl until the mixture is well blended and smooth.
- Pour the marshmallow topping mixture over the brownie layer in the pan. Spread or tilt the pan to level the topping and cover the brownie layer completely.
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate kisses evenly over the marshmallow topping. Then scatter the crumbled graham crackers all over the top.
- Bake in 350° oven for 3 minutes or until the chocolate kisses are glossy and the marshmallow topping is set. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.