S’mores taste best when cooked and assembled among friends and open flames, but if you don’t have any friends or open flames, you can do what I do and make them as bar cookies. These S’mores Bars are baked in an 8 inch pan rather than the usual 13×9 so you’ll get just enough.
I’ve been making these for years, but the recipe is actually from Hershey’s, which is no surprise since it involves whole Hershey Bars.
Building Your S’mores Bars
Here are some very OLD pictures that give you an idea of what the process looks like. You start with a dough made out of butter, sugar, egg, graham cracker crumbs and flour.
You press about half of it in the pan, then arrange Hershey Bars and marshmallow creme/cream/fluff over the bars. Lastly, you top the bars with remaining graham dough.
Bake it all up, let the bars cool, the cut into squares! I feel like I have better photos of these somewhere, but I’ll have to look. The truth is even though I love S’mores Bars I don’t make them often because I’m either out of graham crackers or marshmallow creme. Recently, I started making my own marshmallow cream (or marshmallow fluff) using a recipe from Gemma at Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking. I haven’t yet tried it with S’mores Bars, but it’s on my list of things to do (along with updating these photos).
I’ve also become very fond of the old Indoor S’mores (Golden Grahams S’mores Bars) which don’t require any baking at all. I’m not sure which recipe I like better because they’re both really good.
- 1/2 cup salted butter or margarine, softened (114 grams)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour (170 grams)
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (75 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1.55 oz. each HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Bars
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan or line the pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray (makes cutting easier).
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Press half of dough into prepared pan.
- Arrange chocolate bars over dough, breaking as needed to fit. Spread with marshmallow creme. Scatter bits of remaining dough over marshmallow; carefully press to form a layer.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars or squares.