Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies are based off an old Bake-Off recipe. The original used a boxed brownie mix (made with eggs, oil and water) as the base. This version is similar, but with a scratch brownie base.
These are very easy to make, but you'll have to be patient because there's a lot of cooling time involved. You can make them in a 9x13 inch pan as directed, or halve the recipe and use an 8 inch square pan.
Scratch Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
If you have a box of brownie mix around, the original version is a bit more convenient. You can save a lot of time and concentrate on the filling and topping. The only thing I don't like about the original recipe's filling is that it didn't seem like enough, which is why I came up with a scratch version.
Don't let the length of the ingredient list scare you because many of the things are items you probably have around the house and many of the ingredients in the first part are just repeated down below.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cups Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ scant teaspoon salt omit if using salted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups 6.8 oz all purpose flour, lightly spooned and swept
- 1 ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ teaspoons coconut oil or non-hydrogenated shortening
- ¼ cup lightly toasted chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch pan with nonstick foil.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar and cook gently, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute or until sugar melts and mixture takes on a nice sheen.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder until smooth. Stir in the salt and baking powder.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes, then stir in the salt and baking powder. Stir in the eggs (one by one), then add the vanilla, flour and chocolate chips (make sure batter is cool before adding chips).
- Spread batter in pan and bake for 25 minutes or until brownies are set. Let brownies cool on a rack for at least a half hour.
- Prepare filling. Beat together butter, salt (if using), both sugars, milk and vanilla. Add flour and stir until flour is incorporated. Spread this mixture over cooled brownies and place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to help firm up dough. Alternative, you can press the mixture into a 13x9 inch rectangle between two sheets of plastic wrap, then carefully invert it onto the brownies.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or in a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter. If using a microwave, combine chocolate and butter and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted. Spread melted chocolate mixture over cookie dough. Sprinkle walnuts over top. Allow chocolate to set, then lift from pan and cut into bars.