This is another one of my favorite coconut cream pie recipes. Along with the sweetened flaked coconut, it’s made with pantry staples such as milk, cornstarch and sugar. For the crust you can use a store-bought 9 inch pastry crust or make your own crust using the Baked All Butter Pie Crust recipe. Since the filling isn’t too sweet, it’s also great with a graham cracker crust.
The custard for this pie filling is not too sweet and relies to some extent on the sweetness of the coconut. For that reason I do not recommend unsweetened coconut, but rather the sweetened flaked coconut that’s common in just about every baking aisle. For the milk, it’s best to use whole. It’s also not a super firm filling, yet it should not be runny. Here’s a texture shot. The flecks in it are vanilla beans because I used vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla.
Favorite Coconut Cream Pie -- Basic
- 1 9 inch pie crust store-bought or recipe below
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (for a stiffer pie, add 1 more teaspoon)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut plus an extra 1/2 cup for toasting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Have your baked pie crust ready. Prepare filling.
- In a heavy non-stick 3 quart saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the milk, then whisk the egg yolk mixture into the cornstarch mixture.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook until mixture begins to thicken and bubble. Once it reaches a gentle boil, continue whisking over low heat for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla and coconut. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with a piece of wax paper and let cool to about lukewarm
- Scrape the cooled pie filling into the baked crust.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for 3 hours or more. At some point, toast the extra coconut (see note at bottom)
- When the pie has chilled, prepare whipped cream topping. In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla beat until peaks are stiff. Spread over top of pie. Sprinkle with toasted, cooled coconut.
- To toast coconut, lay it on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 5 minutes or until edges turn brown. Stir every 2 minutes or so.