This is my Go-To Favorite Chocolate Frosting
Updated! I have a NEW favorite chocolate frosting. The old version (below) is good, but requires actual chocolate. This one is a cocoa based frosting, but the addition of heavy cream and sour cream makes it so much better. Here it is on a special chocolate cake called Double Fudge Fanciffill (I love that name). And you can see it again in the top picture which is a Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake.
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sour cream, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sift or aerate before using
- 3/4 cup natural style cocoa powder
- 1 tiny pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons of half and half or a mixture of cream and whole milk
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. The butter should not be too cold, nor should it be melted.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer, mix the butter, sour cream, cocoa, salt and 2 tablespoons of the half and half until it all starts to come together as a thick sludge.
- When everything is sticking together, add the vanilla. Increase mixer speed and beat until smooth, scraping bowl and adding more half and half (or milk and cream) as needed until you get your desired texture consistency. Spread over the cake.
This is my old favorite icing. It’s good too, but it practically solidifies in the refrigerator, so keep that in mind. It will soften as it sits at room temperature.
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted or salted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar (3 1/2 cups unsifted) or about 1 pound
- 1/4 cup milk plus more if needed — can use buttermilk or half & half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch or two of salt if using unsalted butter
- Melt both chocolates in microwave or double boiler. Set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Stir in the cocoa power and a cup of the powdered sugar.
- Add the cooled melted chocolate. Scrape sides of bowl and beat well.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, then add milk, vanilla and salt, beating and scraping creamy and smooth.