This version of Lemon Supreme Pie is originally from Taste of Home, where its creator says she modeled it after her favorite pie from a “local coffee shop” which based most other Google references, including the Bakers Square web site, is Bakers Square.
People must really love this pie, because the recipe is everywhere. I can see why it’s so popular. It’s attractive, very lemony and easy…..maybe even fool-proof. I didn’t read the directions very thoroughly and interpreted “two packages of cream cheese” as two 8 ounce packages even though the recipe clearly states one 8 oz package and one 3 oz package. So I used 5 extra ounces of cream cheese and still had a good pie. Or at least Todd thought so.
Lemon Supreme Pie Chill Time
By the way, I cut this pie about 3 hours after chilling. The recipe says to chill overnight. So you can serve this pie after three hours, but it might look like this! I'm not sure what happened to the whipped topping border. It drooped like crazy, which is unusual for Cool Whip.
Lemon Supreme Pie
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar divided use
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4-5 drops yellow food coloring
- 11 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups whipped topping plus more for garnishing divided use
- Prepare topping. Combine ¾ cup of the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Add water and whisk until smooth. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking almost constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Add remaining ½ cup granulated sugar and reduce heat. Cook and whisk for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens and boils.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter, lemon zest and lemon juice. Let cool for one hour.
- Prepare filling. Beat together 11 ounces softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon juice. Fold in half of the whipped topping. Spread over bottom of baked pie shell. Spread lemon mixture over cream cheese mixture.
- Put remaining whipped topping in a freezer bag, snip of the corner and pipe dollops around the perimeter of the pie plate.