Criss-Cross Peanut Butter Cookies are one of my all-time favorites, and I particularly like this recipe. Also known as Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies, these are the quintessential American style peanut butter cookies. They have crispy edges with soft centers and loads of peanut butter flavor.
The recipe is easy to memorize because of all the”1/2″ measures. The peanut butter chips are a nice addition, but if you can’t find peanut butter chips you can leave them out. As for the peanut butter, make sure to use a mainstream brand with added sugar.
Small Batch Criss-Cross Peanut Butter Cookies
The printable recipe is for a full batch, but since I make these so often for myself I often scale the recipe down to 1/4 of itself and make a very small batch. Here are the measures for Small Batch Criss-Cross Peanut Butter Cookies. I sometimes use bread flour.
- 30 grams softened unsalted butter (2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 25 grams dark brown sugar (2 tablespoons)
- 25 grams granulated sugar (2 tablespoons)
- 65 grams creamy peanut butter (1/4 cup)
- 14 grams of beaten egg (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/8 teaspoon EACH salt, baking soda, and vanilla
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour or bread flour (42 grams)
- A few tablespoons of peanut butter chips (optional)
For the small batch, just mix the butter with the sugars, then stir in the peanut butter and egg. Once that is well mixed, stir in the salt, baking soda and vanilla. Mix well and stir in the flour and baking chips (if using).
European Style Butter Peanut Butter Cookies
I recently made some European style butter chocolate chip cookies using Président brand butter. My nephew loved them so much my sister-in-law asked for the recipe and has been making them too. The French butter makes the cookies a little sandier and crumblier.
One Bowl Criss-Cross Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (115 grams)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar, packed (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1 cup peanut butter, lightly sweetened type (260 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (170 grams)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips You can use more or less than called for
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper or leave ungreased/un-lined.
- Beat the butter and both sugars together. Beat in the peanut butter and egg; Scrape sides of bowl and beat in the salt, baking soda and vanilla. When well blended, add flour and stir until it is blended. Stir in the chips.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls (or scoop with a #70 scoop) and arrange on cookie sheets about 2 1/2-inches apart. Flatten balls with a fork making criss-cross patterns; Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned around the edges.
- Makes about 3 dozen
- **If you only have salted butter you can use that, but reduce the salt in the recipe to about 1/4 teaspoon.
- **If you have some, try adding about 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle powder to the batter.