After making a batch of delicious Rocky Road Brownie, it occurred to me I’d never made Rocky Road Candy, a homemade candy modeled after a famous candy bar called Annabelle’s Rocky Road.
There are several versions of the candy and all of them include either a combination of peanuts or tree nuts and marshmallows mixed together with chocolate then cut into squares or dropped. Early versions of rocky road call for raw eggs and butter, but modern versions are made with condensed milk, which lets you skip the raw eggs.
This recipe is for the condensed milk version of Rocky Road. It’s easy to prepare, slices neatly and keeps well in either the refrigerator or freezer. I sometimes make this in a 9×13 inch pan, but when for whatever reason we have half a can of condensed milk around, I’ll make a half batch in an 8 inch square pan. I’ve even made a quick 1/3 batch using 1/3 a can of condensed milk and shaping the candy in a loaf pan.
For best results, use the best quality chocolate chips you can find or experiment a little and use your own mix of chocolates. You can use 8 oz of chocolate chips and 4 oz of chopped dark chocolate, mix in butterscotch chips or make the whole batch with milk chocolate for a sweeter candy.
If you’re a peanut butter fan, you can make the Lake Travis Mud version.
Rocky Road Candy
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips 12 oz package
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 14 oz. can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts
- 7 cups miniature marshmallows
- Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick foil.
- Combine butter, chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in a large saucepan and melt over medium low heat.
- Meanwhile, combine peanuts and marshmallows in large bowl. Stir in chocolate mixture. Spread in prepared pan.
- Chill 2 hours or until firm. Remove from pan by lifting edges of foil.
- Peel off the foil and cut into squares.
- Alternatively, you can make the recipe in the microwave. Heat the condensed milk and butter for 1 minute in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the chips and stir well. Microwave for another 30 seconds, stir until chips are melted and smooth. Then stir in peanuts and marshmallows. Press into the lined pan. Let set, then cut