I first made Vegan Banana Bread out of necessity. My mother was coming to visit. She loves banana bread, but I was completely out of eggs and needed to improvise. So I did a little research on vegan banana bread and after looking at several recipes, I made this one. It was a hit, and no one missed the eggs or butter. I’ve been making it ever since using various size loaf pans. I recently tested it as gluten-free vegan banana bread using a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend, and it worked well.
Loaf Pan Sizes
Vegan Banana Bread can be made in a regular loaf pan or divided among three 3×5 inch small loaf pans. For a tall, stately loaf, bake the vegan banana bread in an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan rather than a 9×5. You can also use three 3×5 or 3×6 loaves. I have not yet tested this recipe as muffins, but I suppose dividing it between muffin cups would work too.
One Banana Vegan Banana Bread Mini
If you find yourself with one over-ripe banana, you can use it up by making one 3×5 or 3×6 inch Mini Vegan Banana Bread loaf. Here are the measurements.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 of a teaspoon (just eyeball it) of apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (85 grams) all-purpose flour (sometimes I mix in a little whole wheat)
- 1/3 of a half teaspoon (again, just eyeball it) baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons light olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons brown sugar (33 grams)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (33 grams)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (100 to 114 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Mix the vinegar and almond milk and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir together dry ingredients in one bowl, then mix together oil, sugars, banana and vanilla in another. Combine flour mixture with banana mixture and almond milk and stir well. Put in a well greased 3×5 or 3×6 inch loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes or until bread tests done (no batter on tester).
Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Bread
I recently tested this recipe with Bob’s 1:1 gluten-free blend. It worked perfectly. Just use the equivalent amount in weight (260 grams) of Bob’s 1:1 gluten free blend. I’ll update when I test with other gluten-free flours.
Easy Vegan Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup soy milk or any non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour 260 grams, aerate well before measuring or weigh
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus a little pinch
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or organic sugar** 95 grams
- 3 ripe bananas 340 grams, peeled and mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Some nuts for sprinkling on top optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Rub a loaf pan with oil and line with a rectangle of parchment. Alternatively, you can use 3 small (3×5 inch) loaf pans.
- Mix together the soy milk and vinegar; set aside for about 2 minutes.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Beat together the oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar, then beat in the bananas. Continue beating on high until very light. Reduce speed to low and add milk/vinegar mixture.
- By hand, stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture, being careful not to overbeat. I like stirring flour mixture in with a heavy duty scraper. Sprinkle some nuts on top if using.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack for about 15 minutes then flip from pan. Makes 1 awesome loaf.
- If using small loaf pan, check at 35 minutes.