Oh no, not another vanilla cupcake recipe! Yes, indeed. But this recipe is for "the best" yellow cupcakes.
Okay, "best" is subjective, but these seemed like the best at the time so I'm calling the recipe best yellow cupcakes and have posted it for everyone who is frustrated by the fact that it’s so easy to make a good scratch chocolate cupcake, but not so easy to make a soft, tender, vanilla cupcake. This recipe changes the game. Not that I don't also love these sour cream cupcakes, the vanilla bean cupcakes and this doctored cake mix/flour hybrid recipe, but I think this recipe is a notch above the others.
The Best Yellow Cupcakes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk or regular milk mixed with lemon juice**
- 3 cups cake flour (336 grams)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into chunks (230 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line about 30 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk the eggs, yolks, vanilla and ¼ cup of the milk together in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, and mix on low for about 30 seconds. Add the butter and the remaining 1 cup of milk to the flour mixture and with the mixer on low, blend together. Raise the mixer speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- With the mixer still on medium, add the egg mixture in 3 additions, scraping down the side of the bowl and mixing only until thoroughly incorporated. Divide the batter among the cups filling them about ⅔ of the way full. Make sure not to use too much or you’ll get big rims.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until cupcakes are brown around the edges and spring back when touched.
Adapted from a three layer cake recipe in Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes, these cupcakes are my new favorite. Just make sure to weigh the cake flour and have all the ingredients and room temperature.