If you're not in the mood to bake but could go for something sweet, salty and chocolaty, these Rocky Road Cashew Candies will hit the spot. The candies are made with a mix of melted dark chocolate and butterscotch chips, miniature marshmallows and roasted, salted cashews.
Rocky Road Cashew Candies aka "Mud"
The recipe is a variation on a candy called "Mud", but in this version you divide the ingredients between paper lined muffin cups, chill, and peel away the paper to get little rounds of professional looking candy! For something so simple, these little cashew candies are incredibly delicious and perfect for hot days when the oven should stay off.
If you are not into cashews, you can use peanuts instead. And if you are in need of a quick sweet & salty chocolate fix you can scale the recipe down and make 12, 6 or even 3. I do this often using little bits of whatever chocolate, marshmallow and nuts are around.
More Rocky Road Inspired Ideas
Rocky Road Cashew Candies
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips Nestle or Hershey's
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup marshmallows freezing helps prevent them from melting
- 1 cup salted cashews use more or less to taste
- 1 cup broken pretzels more or less to taste
- Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl or in the top of a double boiler, combine chips and peanut butter and stir well, coating the chips in peanut butter. Heat in the double boiler until melted, or melt in the microwave using high and stirring every 30 seconds.
- Stir in the frozen marshmallows, cashews and pretzel pieces.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cups and put in the refrigerator to set the chocolate.
- To serve, peel away the paper liners.
- Store in the refrigerator.