Pudding Mix Kolaches are very soft, fluffy, kolaches made with cook and serve pudding mix. Thanks to Wendy and her family for sharing this heirloom recipe
Pudding Mix Kolaches Recipe Notes
I am posting the recipe as it appears in Wendy's family collection, but I've included my notes since a few things have changed in the past 50 years. One change is that as far as I know, pudding doesn't come in a 4 oz box. To make up for the missing sweetness I used a 3 oz box of pudding and threw in an extra 2 tablespoons of sugar. Another work-around would be to buy a 5 oz box of pudding and weigh out 4 oz. Also, Wendy's family recipe suggests cherry filling. I'm hooked on cream cheese, so I used my usual crumb topping and cheese mixture from the Sour cream kolache recipe. And finally, I used bread flour. Enjoy the recipe!
Kalches or Pudding Mix Kolaches
- 1 4- oz package vanilla pudding or 1 3-oz box and 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup butter I used unsalted
- 2 envelopes yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 to 5 ½ cups flour I used bread flour
- Make cooked pudding according to package directions using 1 ½ cups milk. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and stir into pudding. Beat in eggs and salt. Add enough flour to make moderately soft dough.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead 5 to 10 minutes, then place in greased bowl, turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in warm place until double. Punch down.
- Form dough balls the size of a walnut and arrange on greased cookie sheet 1 ½ inches apart. Punch down center of dough ball and fill hollow with cherry pie filling. Let rise until almost double.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.