I’m not sure how my sister-in-law feels about having all these banana breads named after her, but Beth’s Banana Bread has a ring to it (and she does like banana bread). It could also be called Betty’s Banana Bread because it’s really just a small batch version of the famous Betty Crocker recipe. It’s not the richest and sweetest banana bread, but rather kind of “in-between” in terms of sweetness and moisture. It feels like true banana bread rather than banana cake baked in a loaf.
Beth’s Banana Bread (or Betty’s) Loaf Size
Beth’s Banana Bread is baked in an 8×4 inch loaf pan. This size is not a mini loaf pan, but it is somewhat smaller than standard and often sold in pairs. Most banana bread or quick bread recipes designed for large loaf pans (ones with 2 1/2 cups or more of flour) can usually be divided in half and baked in a pair of these.
So if you want to make this in a 9×5 inch or slightly larger size loaf pan, double the recipe.
Beth’s Banana Bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened (60 grams) — margarine okay too
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar 120 grams
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 bananas mashed or ¾ cup mashed bananas (170 grams)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 160 grams
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8×4 inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy, then add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla and stir until smooth. Batter may look curdled at this point.
- Thoroughly whisk or sift together the baking soda, salt and flour, then gradually add the flour mixture to the batter and stir with a rubber scraper until incorporated. Add nuts if using.
- Pour into pan and smooth to edges. Bake for 45 minutes, and if banana bread isn’t done continue baking for another 15 or so. Bread is done when a skewer or pick inserted comes out clean.
I love hearing from other bakers and appreciate helpful comments. Rude ones will be deleted immediately.